CIFS shares & Permissions - Unix? No write permission? All users have read access on WinACL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanddrag

Cadet
Here's the background:
I run a FreeNAS server in a domain environment with primarily Windows 7 Professional clients, but there's a handful of other versions of Windows, and a couple Macs. For numerous logistical reasons I won't get into, the FreeNAS server absolutely cannot be a member of the domain. All accounts and permissions for the shares need to be handled locally on the FreeNAS server (or through a client interface).

For the last couple years, I had 8.3-release running just fine, using Unix permissions on datasets shared through CIFS. I was able to set up users and groups the way I wanted to, and authenticate just fine. On the windows clients, I would authenticate by "connect using different credentials" or typing a ".\" before the username to change from domain to local authentication in the credential popup box. It was a good way to manage access at the time.

Now, I'm setting up a 9.3-STABLE server (completely new machine), and running into a lot of trouble with the permissions. When I try Unix permissions, I can authenticate just like before, but any new files created have write access only by the creator, and other members of the same group have only read and execute access. Other members of the group do not get write access, even though it is checked for group write in the GUI (as 775).

Is this a bug? Or do Unix permissions no longer apply to (and no longer take effect on) CIFS shares in FreeNAS 9.3? Is using Windows ACL permissions mandatory for CIFS shares? If so, will Mac users still be able to work with these CIFS shares?

I did have better luck using Windows permissions, where everyone in the group has r/w/e access, but it also appears that EVERYONE has read access, which is not what I want. I have about 40 users spread across about 10 groups, and I have about a dozens datasets and shares. For a couple of the datasets/shares, it is absolutely necessary that other users do not have read access.

I tried going to the share properties from a Windows client and going to the Security tab and removing the "Everyone" group which by default had read and execute permissions. This did not change the behavior at all. In retrospect, I'm thinking I should have kept the "Everyone" group listed, but checked "Deny" for read and execute to achieve what I want. Is that the proper way of doing this?

Cliff's notes:
I need to authenticate different groups of users to different shares
Certain users need to have write access to certain shares, read access to others, and no access to others.
I used to do it with Unix permissions on 8.3
How do I set this up on 9.3, where Unix permissions do not give write access?

Any help is much appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Older versions of Samba (and FreeNAS) let Unix perms work, even though this was not correct. In newer versions of Samba (and FreeNAS), you want a dataset type of Windows, permissions type of Windows (which sets the correct default perms), and then fine-tune perms on the Window side to meet your needs.

ian351c

Patron
^^ This.

I run a mixed Windows/Mac environment at home and was also using Unix permissions during the FreeNAS 8.x era (all the way up to 9.2 in fact). I recently built a new machine using 9.3 and now use Windows ACLs exclusively on my Samba shares. Here's what I did:

- Set up the CIFS service (NOT Domain Controller service)
- Set up a "root" folder/datastore that only I have access to (allows me to set permissions on subfolders for sharing without screwing around with the permissions on the shares themselves because I was getting strange messages when setting those permissions and I'm not a Windows guy and this was easier...)
- Set up sub folders off the root folder for sharing. Note that if you cross file systems (i.e. any of these sub folders are or contain datastores), things can get hinky.
- Set up local users and groups on the Unix side (FreeNAS GUI Accounts tab).
- Use my favorite Windows client to attach to the root share and set permissions as I wish.
-- I did end up giving "EVERYONE" no permissions.
-- All the users and groups created in the step above will show up when setting permissions.

YMMV, but it works for me...

retardedNAS

Cadet
Older versions of Samba (and FreeNAS) let Unix perms work, even though this was not correct. In newer versions of Samba (and FreeNAS), you want a dataset type of Windows, permissions type of Windows (which sets the correct default perms), and then fine-tune perms on the Window side to meet your needs.

No, do not blame Samba, it is not problem with Samba, Samba and Unix perms works perfectly, just now have checked with Ubuntu Server 14.04, and data set type of Windows like you suggested does not work with "fine-tune perms on the Window side".

It is incredible that so simple task as create shared RW folder with group would be impossible with FreeNAS

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
No, do not blame Samba, it is not problem with Samba, Samba and Unix perms works perfectly, just now have checked with Ubuntu Server 14.04, and data set type of Windows like you suggested does not work with "fine-tune perms on the Window side".

It is incredible that so simple task as create shared RW folder with group would be impossible with FreeNAS

It's not impossible. I've configured permissions on multiple FreeNAS samba servers (AD member servers and standalone ones) without problems. It usually takes less than five minutes to create a share and set its permissions. Rather than thread-jackromancy, perhaps you should actually start a new thread and explain the problem you are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.