SOLVED CIFS share with different permissions for groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomS

Dabbler
Hi there,

I'm working with CIFS shares on my FreeNAS box without using it in an AD environment.
It's working pretty fine to configure shares which are read-only and others which are read/write.

But now I would like to create a share with the following properties:
- not accessible for guests
- full access rights (r/w) for some users (e.g. ME, MOM, DAD, WIFE)
- read only rights for all other users (e.g. HUEY, DEWEY, LOUIE, (group) KIDS, GRANDMA, GRANDPA)

Is there a way to configure a CIFS share in this way?
It might be possible to do that with the Linux rwxrwxrwx rights, but they are greyed out when configuring the share for CIFS use. So I assume there should be another way to accomplish what I want.

Anyone out there who can help here?

Best,
Tom

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi there,

I'm working with CIFS shares on my FreeNAS box without using it in an AD environment.
It's working pretty fine to configure shares which are read-only and others which are read/write.

But now I would like to create a share with the following properties:
- not accessible for guests
- full access rights (r/w) for some users (e.g. ME, MOM, DAD, WIFE)
- read only rights for all other users (e.g. HUEY, DEWEY, LOUIE, (group) KIDS, GRANDMA, GRANDPA)

Is there a way to configure a CIFS share in this way?
It might be possible to do that with the Linux rwxrwxrwx rights, but they are greyed out when configuring the share for CIFS use. So I assume there should be another way to accomplish what I want.

Anyone out there who can help here?

Best,
Tom

Throw out everything you kind-of know about permissions in other *nixes. FreeNAS uses ACLs for CIFS shares. See my example below and modify to suit your needs
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/

Status
Not open for further replies.