Users, Groups & CIFS Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexland

Contributor
Is there an up to date guide for 9.3 yet explaining the use of users and groups with respect to setting up CIFS shares in a NON-AD environment?

E.g.

I have a number of datasets that I want to share to my family, with different access rights

Users:
dad - Admin, read/write on everything
mom - read everything, write on selected
kid - read selected, write selected
xbmc - read selected, write selected

Share......dad....mom....kid....xbmc
Books......rwd...r......r......r
Videos......rwd...r......r......rwd
Pictures...rwd...rwd...r......r

... etc ...

What's the best way to set up each of the dataset shares?
As I add users, should I just add them to each relevant share with the correct user rights?
Should I make a series of groups (BooksReader, BooksWriter, VideosReader, VideoWriter) and add the users to each of the groups?

What's the best and easiest approach to maintaining some read/write security, while maintaining ease of admin?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Make dad the owner of all datatsets.

Log on to the share (in Windows) as dad and set permissions there.

I've found that groups are sometimes unreliable, but individual users work fine.

Hexland

Contributor
So, I've done as suggested...

I've created users dad, mom, kid and xbmc... I've created a CIFs share of 'Pictures' and made the dataset owner 'dad'

However...

On the Windows Server 2011 machine (from which I'm trying to transfer all of my data), I can browse to the network path \\freenas\Pictures, but when I go to the security tab and try and add mom, kid and xbmc users - I get 'name not found' and I'm presented with a dialog "An object named 'mom' cannot be found... select object type 'users, groups or built-in' from location 'freenas', enter the object name 'mom'.

When I try the same thing from Windows 8.1, I can add mom, kid and xbmc, but when I try to apply the changes, I get 'An error occurred when applying security information to \\freenas\Pictures. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied'

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If it works in windows 8, use that. You should then be able to log in as the relevant users on Server 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.