Help CIFS shares with user local accounts m$

Status
Not open for further replies.

acem77

Cadet
I just setup my 1st freenas box last night from a pc I had laying around as a test.
specs
core 2 duo 2.90ghz 2GB ram and 2x80GB(big time!) hdds mirrored.
if all goes well ill upgrade it or build a new pc.

I am having the same noob CIFS headaches as other users.

I had the guest account working with no issues, I think I got one user account created but things seem odd like the credentials are now cached..

For the most part I cant get access with a password working.

Below are a list of questions I have and some from the 9.20 guide.

----
If changes are made its seems like I need to stop and start the CIFS service for them to be active on the client side.
Is there are good rule of thumb for changes that wont be instant?

----

When I try to access the share with a password how is it entered?
login: user
pass: 1234

login: freenas\user I have mapped a drive with this but was unable to change rights in windows?

login: workgroup\user

login: ?XX?\user

----

7.3.1 Creating CIFS Shares
NOTE: hostname lookups add some time to accessing the CIFS share. If you only use IP addresses,
uncheck the “Hostnames lookups” box in Services → CIFS.

? Does this need to be done or is it just best practice? I tested using an IP.

----

7.3.3 Configuring Local User Access
"1. If you are not using Active Directory or LDAP, create a user account for each user in
Account → Users → Add User with the following attributes:
• Username and Password: matches the username and password on the client system"

? so is this just for aesthetics and to keep things less confusing for the user or does it really know if they don’t match.

----

3.1.6 Configure Permissions
"Once a share is available, the client operating system should be used to fine-tune
the permissions of the files and directories that are created by the client."

? So give one user full rights to the full CIFS share in the freenas web gui, then go to the windows client access that share as that account and start managing the rights as if everything was on a windows file server, create directories and set permissions?

----

Upgrading /changing hardware.
Can this be done with out the need to rebuilding the Raid?

As an example move all the raid hdds to an new pc and boot with same usb drive.
What happens if the usb drive goes bad?

Thanks

acem77

Cadet
I played with the CIFS share setings for a few more hours last night still with no solution.

then i found this,

An interesting DS412+ review. It starts about half way in to the show.

DiskStation vs FreeNAS
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/44992/diskstation-vs-freenas-las-s29e03/#menu

At the end the reviewer said he would retire the freenas box and replace it with the DS412+

So far based on the CIFS rights and share issues with freenas the Synology’s Linux powered DS412+ may be the solution for me.
In the review they make it sound easy for the user to manage permissions and mention the pain it is with freenas. They also don’t seem too worried about losing ZFS vs having EXT4.

By time I build the rig with HDDS the cost looks to be about the same and there will be some power saving in the long run. Plus ill save my self some headaches and time.

I respect the open source nature of freenas but the lack of detailed information on what seems to be a common issue for most new users makes the other option more practical for me.

I don’t think the CIFS share difficulty is really a noob level thing if one of the pros on here needed hours to get it working correctly for a forum member.

This seems to be an area that needs some more special focus in the provided documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.