Choosing a HBA/Drive Expansion Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, you definitely want something that uses an LSI expander chip, like the Intels, since that's what everyone uses and it's known to work.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
One IBM M1015 ordered from eBay, let's see how this goes then eh? Ahaha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
So basically ive got the base setup working, the 24 port case and an M1015 fully functioning, the issue is i was unable to use a reverse breakout to expand my drive slots further so im now left to get a SAS Expander card, the card either has to be PCI powered or MOLEX powered, both my PCIe Slots are now in use.

Ive looked at the Intel 24 Port Option, and im good to get that one but i wanted second opinions as to what i should get.

Further to that how i should go about mounting it when i have no PCIe slots left to use

Thanks

Stux

MVP
It's a good card. Be aware that 4 or 8 of those ports have to be used as the uplink to the sas HBA.

I've been considering the Chenbro 36 port model.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
It's a good card. Be aware that 4 or 8 of those ports have to be used as the uplink to the sas HBA.

I've been considering the Chenbro 36 port model.

Yeh I intent to just hook the Intel 24 port to the M1015 via one SFF8087 Cable just allowing it 4 lanes, thats the only config ill be able to use because that uses all the physical available.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It does. But expect it to be fake, coming from China.

Pezo

Explorer
How do you know when something like this is fake? I mean other than it being way too cheap, I wouldn't really know what too look out for...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How do you know when something like this is fake? I mean other than it being way too cheap, I wouldn't really know what too look out for...
There are several degrees of fake. Ebay fakes from China are frequently slightly different PCBs or the same PCB with chips that fell off the back of a truck in the shadiest alley of Shenzhen.

Last edited:

jimmyl

Cadet
I am about to have a
LSI00244 9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS Host Bus Adapter Card , is there a simple guide to update the firmware of the card to the latest one?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

kdragon75

Wizard
Anyone look into the DS2423/DS2436 or DS2246 for a few hundred bucks? Add an LSI 9211-8e (Dell H200e), and a cable. Dual PSU, Dual path, SATA and SAS, and it just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.