hp ml310e hba card

DaRkNeSs79

Cadet
ive bought a used hp ml310e with a xeon E3-1220 8 gigs of eec ram i will change it to 32 gigs in the next month and i was wondering will the system support a storageworks d2700 to add more storage or i should buy a new controller. the only thing that my nas will do is games photos and video storage no plex or anything i might play with some easy plugins.. lats thing anyone custom mode the case to fit a newer motherboard and cpu or is it hard to mount new hardware in such cases

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's a little bit hard to figure out what you're talking about.

Will an ML310e work for FreeNAS? I expect so. Make sure you set the SATA ports to AHCI mode.

Can you add a Storageworks D2700 shelf? As long as it is just a shelf with SAS expander, and not an actual RAID controller, yes, that'd be expected to work.

If you're unfamiliar with SAS, please go read the SAS Primer on these forums.

To hook up an external shelf, you will need an HBA, and preferably one with external ports. Get an LSI one.

DaRkNeSs79

Cadet
i used to work in a datacenter now i deploy mainly servers to medium size busines... for my home i used to deploy mainly consumer grade storages no ecc or anything redundant i might try to buy used hba and hardware from my old work and play on my lab