Build advice: HP ProLiant ML310e G8 v2 as backup system

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-NAS

Dabbler
I've built my FreeNAS box proper, and now I'm moving on to the system that will hold the backups of my FreeNAS box.

The HP ProLiant ML310e G8 v2 seems to be a heck of a deal to me at $260 CAD, but I can't help but think I'm overlooking something.

It comes with an Intel i3 4150 and 2GB of ECC RAM. I'd be hard pressed to buy that processor, a PSU, a case, motherboard and RAM for that price. I already have a bunch of HDDs I can throw in it.

Checking online it seems there is conflicting advice, and not a lot of success over here installing FreeNAS. Perhaps someone more versed in HP can clear up the following for me:

1. Can the existing hardware be set to AHCI and appear transparent to FreeNAS?
2. Can I use bog standard RED/NAS 3.5" SATA drives, or am I restricted to HP approved disks?
3. Could the processor later be upgraded to a Xeon E3 series, or would that require proprietary HP fans/cooling mechanisms etc.
4. ILO4 requires paying for a license? I guess I've been spoiled by IPMI...

If #1 isn't possible, would this still be a good system to install, say Linux onto and then just push FreeNAS snapshots to? I suppose using Crashplan across the two would be an option as well...

marbus90

Guru
1. yes
2. yes, but you probably need HP disk caddies for <$20 a pop
3. yes
4. if you want to utilize Remote KVM after the OS is booted, yes. You can obtain a trial license which will enable the full featureset for 30 to 60 days. Virtual Media is always included.

Note that you have to add another 8GB ECC DIMM before you can use it as FreeNAS.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
The ML310e G8 v2 should come with the caddies (mine did from Newegg). You can pick up ilo4 licenses on eBay (no guarantee about legitimacy).

The ml310e g8 v2 works great for FreeNAS. I used one for half a year before upgrading for more drive bays. Just don't virtualized FreeNAS on it.

marbus90 covered the rest.

J-NAS

Dabbler
1. yes
2. yes, but you probably need HP disk caddies for <$20 a pop
3. yes
4. if you want to utilize Remote KVM after the OS is booted, yes. You can obtain a trial license which will enable the full featureset for 30 to 60 days. Virtual Media is always included.

Note that you have to add another 8GB ECC DIMM before you can use it as FreeNAS.
The ML310e G8 v2 should come with the caddies (mine did from Newegg). You can pick up ilo4 licenses on eBay (no guarantee about legitimacy).

The ml310e g8 v2 works great for FreeNAS. I used one for half a year before upgrading for more drive bays. Just don't virtualized FreeNAS on it.

marbus90 covered the rest.

Thanks for the quick replies! @ser_rhaegar what did you upgrade to?

I'm not planning on going with SSDs, so it appears I would be limited to 4 drives. I couldn't do a true mirror of my 6 drive RAIDZ2 then, though as a backup I guess perhaps it's not as big a deal? With ECC RAM and more frequent scrubs I guess that would at least keep me on top of any changes in the backup's reliability.

I'm just somewhat skeptical of HP after my experiences with their older workstation class (xw6400, xw8400). Processor lock-outs, custom BIOS, custom heatsinks with BIOS checks. Not nearly as easy as sourcing non-HP eBay parts and upgrading yourself...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Processor lock-outs, custom BIOS, custom heatsinks with BIOS checks. Not nearly as easy as sourcing non-HP eBay parts and upgrading yourself...
My instinct says "that part is a joke", but my experience says "hmm, sounds like something they'd try".

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Thanks for the quick replies! @ser_rhaegar what did you upgrade to?
Whitebox build: SuperMicro X9SRL-F, E5-2620v2, 28GB ECC/R RAM, 4x2TB Green, 6x3TB Red, 2x4TB HGST, mirrored pairs
Using a 3U 16 bay supermicro case from eBay.

J-NAS

Dabbler
My instinct says "that part is a joke", but my experience says "hmm, sounds like something they'd try".

To be fair, that might be me mis-understanding a google-translated article I read regarding upgrading beyond the TDP each units stock processor shipped with.

Whitebox build: SuperMicro X9SRL-F, E5-2620v2, 28GB ECC/R RAM, 4x2TB Green, 6x3TB Red, 2x4TB HGST, mirrored pairs
Using a 3U 16 bay supermicro case from eBay.

That's quite the jump from 4 drives! Looks like a nice build.

Status
Not open for further replies.