HP Proliant Micro G8

Status
Not open for further replies.
paradoxiom is using an adorable HP Proliant G8 as his FreeNAS server, some stock specs for this baby is
Intel Celeron G1610T 2.3GHz 2C/2T CPU, 2Gb of RAM (max 16Gb), and takes 4 hdds, can be expanded evidently as paradoxiom has, he isnt using the onboard RAID ,but rather a M1015 crossflashed to P16.

Alright , fill me in. I just got one, loaded it with 16Gb of ECC RAM, and picked up a E3-1265L V2 Xeon. How did you mount 2 more drives in there, how are you cooling the PCI E slot? I have a 10Gb card in my PCI E , and i am fairy certain its getting nice and toasty.

paradoxiom

Patron
A guy I found on this forum (named schoondoggy) made and sold his own mounting brackets and other small things for the Gen8: homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-gen8-drive-bracket.html

I've got 3x Samsung M9T 2TB 9.5mm drives attached to the bracket on mine, and I've got 4x WD Red 6TB drives in the 4 main stock bays in Raidz1, and will have the second set in Raidz1 too - hoping to make those 3x 2TB drives 4x sometime in the future possibly if /when SCHOONDOGGY creates a bracket capable of it ( mentioned here )

3 Samsung M9T 2TB 9.5mm on the bracket:
Oo3Eehc.jpg

A couple motherboard shots:
ZwZscjb.jpg

I stuck a Xeon E3-1230 v2 CPU in there and the cooler is one of these: Akasa AK-CC7118HP01 K25 Low Profile Intel Cooler for LGA 775/1156/1155

I've stuck a small heatsink/fan as you can see (small red fans) on both the iLO chip and replacing the stock fanless heatsink on the northbridge. Wholly uneccessary, but I like to mod stuff and I wanted to do it.
This is the heatsink/fan combo ( Xilence Northbridge/Chipset Heatsink + Fan → Aluminium Cooler Heat sink RAM )

To attach it to the iLO chip (which may not need cooling, but it does I notice now get the heatsink on top of it very warm) I used some semi-permanent Akasa AK-TT12-80 Thermal Adhesive Tape.

I tried the same on the northbridge, but the chip that sticks up is tiny compared to the area around it and the thermal tape wasn't adhesive enough, so what I did was take some thermal pad stuff and cut it slightly larger than the bottom of the heatsink, just so none of the edges made any contact with the board, then I used a knife and cut out a hole in the middle for the chip to fit into, and then in order to secure it to the chip I used some Arctic Silver ASTA-7G - Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive.

Once that cured it was secured nicely and peliminary tests so far show the chipset sensor going from 68c under Plex scanning load with the same heastink attached using the thermal tape to around 43-45c

The fan on the IBM M1015 is a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX attached using 2x Akasa AK-MX003 - Siliconized Rubber Fan Pins and the copper ramsinks I stuck on it can be found easily enough.

Before I hook up the 3x M9T 2TB 9.5mm drives to the M1015 I am going to set up a blower fan or two like this pointing at them, as per the advice of the bracket designer because the drives up there get warm.

I also stuck a ramsink on a chip you can see on the top left of the board in the image, I forgot what it's for exactly now but I saw it recommended elsewhere as a minor thing to do since that also gets warm.

Just for reference too, the RAM in mine is 2x "Kingston Technology ValueRam DDR3 1600 MHz ECC DIMM"

I run FreeNAS from a fast SanDisk Extreme SD card (I think the SD card slot only goes to USB 2.0 anyway, as well as the internal USB port, but oh well) which works very well, and a windows to go install from the internal USB port.

Hope any of this helped if there's anything else I can help with just let me know.

Here's another angle;
YnOX9xG.jpg

I might do a similar fan for my 10Gb card in my Micro server. I already picked up the 16Gb of RAM, and a Xeon. I used the Zalman cooler i saw in another thread on the same site you linked. I was deff considering getting a SD card and installing ESXi on that and that would give me full use of my 2Tb hdds but i realized i dont care a hell of a lot lol. I got my loaded with 2 2Tb WD RE4 drives in RAID1 using the onboard controller, i got all the firmware updated soon as i unboxed it, and i plugged in a iLo 4 adv license because i hate not having iLo features.... How are your temps? Did you change out the stock fan that pulls air through?

Attachments

• jYDCM7M.jpg
    jYDCM7M.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 1,584
  • LSXRqA9.jpg
    LSXRqA9.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 2,077

paradoxiom

Patron
I'd like to swap out the stock exhaust fan with a better / quiter one but they went and used some terrible 6-pin proprietary connector on the motherboard, and now while people can and have spliced into the cable to add their own I'd rather not bother doing that since the stock fan is fine as is really, and as soon as I move the server into another room I'll bump the speed up anyway because sound won't be an issue. I don't have any temp readings from before I started adding fans etc but I'm going to wait for the thermal cement to dry on the northbridge tonight and do a check of them all tomorrow.

paradoxiom

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.