BUILD HP ML10 v2 - am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatts

Dabbler
Hi all,

After my first and home-built Xeon FreeNAS machine, I was looking for a cheaper and ready-to-go alternative as a second FreeNAS box.
I landed on the HP Proliant ML10 v2 (http://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east...product-detail.html?oid=7876074#!tab=features). I've got it on order now together with 1 disk (there will be no "real" pool but one pool per HDD as it's non-critical data that I have offline backups of).

It's a dualcore Pentium G3240 with 4GB of ECC RAM (1 slot occupied, 4 in total up to 32GB), Intel C222 chipset and 2 NICs (NC332i Broadcom BCM5720 according to info I found somewhere).
It's software fakeRAID with 4 SATA connections.
Edit for clarity: I intend to add more RAM (probably switch to 16GB) and I still have 1 or 2 Intel Gigabit CT NICs that I will add to avoid the Broadcom NIC).

It'll be used for CIFS/SMB so the 3.1GHz CPU should be fast enough I think.
My "question" is: am I missing something?
At a little over € 200, this looks like an ideal box for a small FreeNAS to me, yet I've not found any mention of a ML10 v2-based system anywhere...

Regards,

Whatts aka. Tom

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
My "question" is: am I missing something?

Yes.

RAM is half the minimum requirement so you need to add at least 4 GB.

Broadcom NICs are crappy as Realtek ones, maybe even crappier...

And why on earth using FreeNAS if you just want a bunch of drives without any redundancy?

Whatts

Dabbler
RAM is half the minimum requirement so you need to add at least 4 GB.
I should have specified that I was planning to add RAM (and I should also have checked the updated hardware requirements, seems this is now 8GB instead of the previous 4GB - at least I think this was the case before).

Broadcom NICs are crappy as Realtek ones, maybe even crappier...
I should also have specified that I'll install an Intel NIC I still have around (even though I'll be testing with the Broadcom first to see what kind of results I'll get).

And why on earth using FreeNAS if you just want a bunch of drives without any redundancy?
Why not? I'm familiar with it and I like it. As I said, I don't need any redundancy for the data that will be on this box.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Might want to edit that information into the initial post as that makes a pretty significant difference in the recommendations.

As far as the last point @Bidule0hm is making, I think it's "if you're not looking for the enhanced redundancy/security that ZFS offers, why not use a less-demanding filesystem?"

But I'm guessing the main reason you don't see much of it is the relatively young age and low drive count. There's a few folks using the HP MicroServers, but they're still only capable of holding four drives without requiring modifications/extra HBAs. Something like the Fractal Node 304 allows for six, which gives you less lost space to parity when doing the common-for-a-home-user RAIDZ2 setup of 4+2 drives.

Of course this is coming from a guy who thinks that a twelve-bay Dell C2100 is a perfectly acceptable "home use" FreeNAS box.

Nick2253

Wizard
Of course this is coming from a guy who thinks that a twelve-bay Dell C2100 is a perfectly acceptable "home use" FreeNAS box.

Shh, we mustn't let our significant others know that anything less would work :p

Whatts

Dabbler
Might want to edit that information into the initial post as that makes a pretty significant difference in the recommendations.
Done. That'll teach me not to post 5 minutes before I have to leave in a hurry.

As far as the last point @Bidule0hm is making, I think it's "if you're not looking for the enhanced redundancy/security that ZFS offers, why not use a less-demanding filesystem?"
I understand that point, but I'm thinking because:
  • I like FreeNAS
  • I can
  • there's no such thing as overkill
:)
Basically I want/need to add (non-redundant) storage space. I could buy yet another Synology NAS, but a 4-drive model with similar performance would cost about the same as this box (with the additional RAM).
Also, there's no fun in that.
I could run the ML10 with NAS4free, but (although I've had some good results with transfer speeds on low-budget equipment), I prefer FreeNAS over NAS4free.

But I'm guessing the main reason you don't see much of it is the relatively young age and low drive count. There's a few folks using the HP MicroServers, but they're still only capable of holding four drives without requiring modifications/extra HBAs. Something like the Fractal Node 304 allows for six, which gives you less lost space to parity when doing the common-for-a-home-user RAIDZ2 setup of 4+2 drives.
There was a v1 version of the ML10 with comparable specs, so it's not that new anymore.
You have a point concerning the limited number of drives, though there might be more 4-drive systems out there than some people think.
Maybe not a bad idea to start a "# of drives" poll...

Shh, we mustn't let our significant others know that anything less would work :p
I stopped counting my total storage space recently when I crossed the 100TB threshold ( for my household of... 1).
I have a problem with the delete key :D

horizonbrave

Explorer
Please, did anyone collect more info/experience on the HP ML10 v2 and in particular in how to disable the RAID to let freenas be able to do his job?
Many thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.