BUILD NVMe SSD in HP DL360e

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritFly

Dabbler
Hey guys,
Now that FREENAS 10 is out and supports virtualization I've decided to upgrade my modest HP Proliant ML310e G8 with a HP DL360e G8. I know, I know.. It's not that big of a leap, but it's for home use.

So I bought a used HP DL360e without disks. I want to run a few VMs on this new server, mostly windows based that will run certain software, no heavy demand.

Now I'm thinking about a few options:

1. A bunch of consumer SSDs - since I'm going to be using ZFS, my guess is using consumer SSDs won't be an issue. The only concern about this route is the HP Gen8+ servers not reading consumer SSDs temp correctly and running the fans at full as a result.
2. Getting a few Intel DC S3500 SSDs - these are relatively cheap and there are a few affordable offers both used and new. The RAID controller will work fine with them as well even though I won't be using it
3. NVMe SSDs: Something like the Intel P3500, Intel 750 etc - now this is where I'm going experimental. I couldn't find any experience with adding NVMe SSDs to the DL360e on google even though they should work fine. The only concern is that the DL360e has 2 PCIe, of which one is PCIe 2.0 x8 and the other PCIe 3.0 x16. The PCIe 2.0 might limit the performance of the Intel NVMe.

Do you think one Intel P3500 would be faster than 2 x Intel S3500 in stripe? How about P3500 vs 4 x S3500? Because price-wise, the S3500 seem to be cheaper. But since speed is the priority with these SSDs, I'm willing to go even for 2 x P3500.

Any thoughts are welcomed!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

SpiritFly

Dabbler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, they're there exact same thing, only with a different form factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.