Feedback Sought on Server Upgrade Components

wraith

Contributor
Hi All,

I'm currently planning to upgrade/update my server hardware. Whilst doing this upgrade, I might as well bring it up to current best practice (as I understand it) and seeking someone with fresh or more experienced perspective to provide some constructive feedback. At the moment, I'm planning to:

• Move innards to a short-chassis rackmount server (I have a STRONG FS 42U enclosure which is an AV style so not deep. Need a short chassis);
  • Simplify the HDD's - move the files from vdev1 to vdev2 and remove the vedv1 drives. Vdev2, to date, has not accumulated more than 7Tb of data since built in early 2010's. And the 2 degrees of redundancy have served me well (I also backup to the cloud). This includes snapshots;
  • Add another 16Gb of RAM (same model as current) (link) as I would like to experiment with virtual machines, and;
  • Replace the boot USB with a small SSD
For the chassis so far I've found the following short chassis':
At the moment my preference is for the SilverStone RM21-308 as:
  • Supports my microATX motherboard;
  • Will just fit my Corsair RM550x ATX PSU;
  • Will accept all 8 of my HDD's via external bays.
  • Comes with fans included
  • Has 2x2.5" internal slots for a boot SSD
It's one of the more expensive options but is probably worth it when considering the value of the server.

Queries on this chassis include:
  • My current cooler is an Intel E97379-001 which is 70mm in height according to Uncle Google. The RM21-308 limitation for coolers is 68mm. Does the 2mm make a difference in practice (would like to use existing if possible)? Or should I get a new lower profile CPU cooler (such as the Noctua NH-L9I)? If I need a new cooler, what are respectable brands?
  • Are factory included fans generally of reasonable quality or should I allow for replacing them?
Would really appreciate:
  • Feedback on the above chassis' including quality, experience or any other options I haven't identified
  • Is there anything else I should consider whilst making this upgrade?
I've been doing a little searcing and reading and I understand:
  • No need to worry about order of HDD's when moving across. FreeNAS is clever enough to recognise each unique serial number and attach appropriately;
Thanks in advance!

wraith

Contributor
*bump* any thoughts? Feedback? Or am I "on the money?" :)