SOLVED Changing boot drive from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 - FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
Brief History
My FreeNAS server has been running fine, fairly consistently over the past 5 years or so on my home-built server. Recently, it suffered MB failure. Because it was 5 years old, they don't make them with the same CPU socket, so I ended up replacing everything except the PSU, case and HDDs. I was able to get things back up and running, however; the new MB only has two USB 2.0 ports available. With one of those pots being used up by my boot drive, that left me with a single USB 2.0 port for my external devices, such as my UPS and 3D printer. Anticipating this issue, I purchased a USB 3.0 drive, so that I could migrate the boot drive to it, thus freeing up all USB 2.0 ports.

What I've Tried
  • Fresh Install & Config UL
  1. Save the configuration while booted from the USB 2.0 drive.
  2. Installed fresh FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 to the USB 3.0 drive.
  3. Booted using the USB 3.0 drive.
  4. Attempted to upload configuration file created in step 1 - Error.
  • Mirroring USB 2.0 boot drive to USB 3.0 drive
  1. WebGUI: System -> Boot -> Status
  2. Selected freenas-boot
  3. Clicked Attach
  4. Selected the USB 3.0 disk as the member disk
  5. Clicked Attach Disk - Error - Device too small.
I am not sure why either of these methods failed. Before attempting either method, I verified that both disks are of equal capacity (Not relying on what's printed on the casing or the packaging) using Windows disk manager. The UEFI on both my Windows PC and my FreeNAS box also both see the two drives as having the same overall capacity.

Suggestions?
Acknowledging that I do not know everything, I am seeking the sage wisdom and advice from the community, whom I see as a vast resource of knowledge and skill far surpassing my own. Any help or advice you are able to apply would be very much appreciated.

Just plug the USB 2 devices into the USB 3 ports. It's fine.

Cheers,
Matt

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
Okie dokie. In the meantime, I reattempted the first method. This time, with no error, and all is right with the world. Well, at least in my little dank corner of it anyway.

Peace and all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.