USB Drive can't be accessed after using as FreeNAS boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmlman

Dabbler
Does anyone have the same issue?

My FreeNAS has been setup as Mirror boot with 2 of 32G USB2 drive. One of my co-worker somehow decided to unplug the primary boot USB drive while it was still in use. The mirrored USB drive kicked in as it supposed to be. That's all fine.

The issue is that the unplugged USB can't be accessed anymore. I have this USB plugged into my Win10 machine. it showed as a removable device, but when I trying to access it, it tells me "please insert disk.... ". If I try to use "Diskpart", it shows me "No media" " size 0 " and "Virtual disk service error: There in no media in the device"

As well I tried to access this drive in Mac, Liunx (Ubunto, CentOS, FreeBSD), none of them can even detect this USB drive.

So how did FreeNAS format this drive so it can't be used anymore.....

How can I re-format it ? This is a new USB drive only being severed for less than 24 hours......

Attachments

• usb.JPG
    usb.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 742
Let it go, man. Just let it go.

Cheers,
Matt

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Try using the HP USB Key Utility for Windows. I have had success with it where nothing else worked.
Sorry, that was the wrong link,
This is the app I was looking for:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool/

If this doesn't work, try some of the tools designed to detect and identify fake USB drives, such as h2testw (German link, https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539/download) and see if a destructive write test on it will work.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I could just let it go, but just curious what FreeNAS did to it....and how
I am curious also, but at the worst, you could send it in for warranty replacement.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hardware failure most likely, pulled in the middle of a write to the flash translation layer/NAND mapping table, and USB sticks/SD cards are a whole different level of resilience vs. SSDs (the latter has varying degrees of power-failure-tolerance, the former basically just dies.)

Status
Not open for further replies.