CCB request compelted with an error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhite

Cadet
Hi all,

I am working with FreeNAS for the first time. Doing my first install. Installing from a USB to a USB. The destination USB is a 64 GiB Sandisk fit. Everything started ok, but now it appears to be stalled. The last line written is Error 5, retries exhausted. Before that is CCB request completed with an error.

I found a few message threads that suggest that the destination USB is bad. But I am not sure. That kind of USB is normally pretty good quality. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

pro lamer

Guru
Maybe test the USB stick with some testing software?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

mwhite

Cadet
It is a Dell R710, with 40 GiB of RAM, 1x 2.26 GHz processor, Intel 540 dual port 10 GB card, 5x Dell plug-in 1 TB drives, and 1x Samsung SSD - 500 GB. Drives are off the integrated SAS controller.

If you need more info let me know,. Thanks for any help.

Michael

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is your server equipped with the remote management feature? If it is, you can remote into a web console that will allow you to remotely mount the ISO image of the FreeNAS installation media. I have seen a number of issues like this where the problem turned out to be a bad installation media that was causing the install to fail. If you can mount the ISO directly, it bypasses that potential for failure.

Another option, you can do the install to the desired boot media using any computer. It does not need to be the system that will ultimately run FreeNAS. Once the installation is done, it will ask to be rebooted, do a shutdown instead and then move the boot drive to the server for first boot.
Drives are off the integrated SAS controller.

If you need more info let me know,. Thanks for any help.
See that part where you say, 'integrated SAS controller'; that is the part I have a problem with... The Dell R710 actually has a card that controls the drives and they have several options. One of those options is the PERC6i which is actually a hardware RAID card and could very easily be a source of the problems. We should investigate that more.

Then there is that 500GB SSD, what is the plan for that?

mwhite

Cadet
I wish indeed I had remote management. I agree that would be best way to do this. I tried a different USB and the install went fine. The Dell integrated card is an LSI and is not a RAID. I did confirm via BIOS all the 5 drives were not in a RAID group or whatever. The SSD is to be used as write and read cache. But not sure the details as I am new to FreeNAS. I know it is too big, looking on the FreeNAS site I saw 8 GB SSD mentioned. But it is the only SSD I have.

Thanks for your help and comments,

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.