Can't start Plex after upgrade

one800higgins

Dabbler
I believe the reason for the beta version being called plexmediaserver-plexpass is that the plex team used to release two wholly different binaries for free users and plexpass users. If you wanted plexpass features or beta installs, you needed to install the plexpass version. Fairly long ago, they improved it, so that both binaries had plexpass features as long as you logged into it with a plexpass account. Now the only reason to install the plexpass binary is to beta test.

TIL. I wasn't aware that this switch happened. I was still under the impression that to get my PlexPass features, I had to be on the beta branch.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I get the desire for new versions, I do,
People are pathological about keeping Plex up to date--see any of dozens of threads here saying "they released a new version three days ago! Where's the update?" And sometimes, it isn't even three days. The banner on the Plex web interface isn't that intrusive...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Email the package maintainer. feld@FreeBSD.org
and the response FYI...

screenshot.255.png

and this post a few hours ago on the Plex forum...

screenshot.257.png

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am literally now putting the finishing touches on a video about that. If I can figure out YouTube, that should be available tonight, in roughly 8-10 hours.
Did you ever get that video published?

Yorick

Wizard

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The one about using Danb35’s script? Yeah. It’s a little outdated by now, but sure:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GvM32lWc_r4
It might feel a little outdated to you, but I am still running FreeNAS 11.2-u8 and I am just now ready to upgrade my Plex (a warden "plugin" jail) that I have been running since about June of 2017, if I recall correctly. I had been running Plex before that, but I had to start over from scratch back then because of a mistake I made that overwrote my previous instance of Plex.
Once I move my Plex to the new infrastructure, I can upgrade my NAS to 11.3-u5. I have waited all this time to upgrade because I didn't want to deal with the Plex migration. I should have done it, but I kept putting it off because of what happened back in 2017. We lost the library back then and I don't want to do that again.

pschatz100

Guru
Before you start, I would suggest that you back up your Plex metadata. That way, if something gets messed up, you will not have to recreate all your libraries. The metadata and many of your other Plex settings are in the directory "Plex Media Server". Exactly where this directory is located will depend upon your original installation - it is somewhat different for Warden jails or iocage jails. I don't have Warden jails any longer, but in an iocage jail the path is something like /mnt/iocage/jails/JAILNAME/root/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server -- where JAILNAME is the name of your jail. If you are using Plexpass, the path will be something like /mnt/iocage/jails/JAILNAME/root/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/Plex Media Server

The actual path will depend upon where you assign your jail.

Note: If you move your application data and the server doesn’t start correctly, you can delete the Preferences.xml file and then when you restart Plex it will bring up the setup tutorial again - but your media and deck will be intact. You can skip the tutorial, but you will have to set your preferences again.

So even if you have difficulty migrating from the Warden jail, you can make a fresh install of Plex and restore most of your information. You might have to reset your networking and mountpoints for the data, but this is not a showstopper.

Good luck.