Plex and iocage driving me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael De Cou

Explorer
So I have just re-installed my freenas server as a clean install, and am trying to install a plex jail. I am using 2 different approaches, and having trouble with each. Here are my problems:

Option 1: Create Jail, establish networking, and try to install using portsnap. The install completes successfully, but when I go to start the service, I get the following output:

root@Plexmediaserver_1:/usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass # service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
Starting plexmediaserver_plexpass.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver_plexpass: WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver_plexpass
root@Plexmediaserver_1:/usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass #

Are there any suggestions as to why this error occurs, or a possible fix?

Option 2: Create the jail using the how-to posted on the Resources pages on Freenas.org. Everything seems to install correctly, but when I try to start the service, i get the following:

root@freenas:~ # iocage exec Plexmediaserver_2 sysrc "plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES"
plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable: -> YES

root@freenas:~ # iocage exec Plexmediaserver_2 sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_support_path="/config"
plexmediaserver_plexpass_support_path: -> /config

root@freenas:~ # iocage exec Plexmediaserver_2 service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
plexmediaserver_plexpass does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable
True
root@freenas:~ #

Again... any ideas as to how to fix this? In both cases, I am unable to get the service to start. Thanks for any help provided!

Michael De Cou

Explorer
As a follow-up, I have noticed when using the how-to posted on the Resources page, I get an error during install as follows:

pkg-static: /var/db/pkg permissions (0770) too lax

Perhaps this is causing a problem, but I am not sure how to fix this.

Michael De Cou

Explorer
Full output at iocage creation:

root@freenas:/ # iocage create -n "Plexmediaserver_3" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.1.31/24" defaultrouter="192.168.1.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
Plexmediaserver_3 successfully created!
Testing SRV response to FreeBSD
Testing DNSSEC response to FreeBSD

Installing pkg...
jexec: execvp: pkg-static: No such file or directory

Installing supplied packages:
- plexmediaserver-plexpass...
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly, please wait...
Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done

- ca_root_nss...
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly, please wait...
Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done

* Starting Plexmediaserver_3
+ Started OK
+ Configuring VNET OK
+ Starting services OK
root@freenas:/ #

garm

Wizard
Dude, it’s next to impossible to read those outputs unless you put them in code tags..

Also, why are you doing your commands from FreeNAS and not inside the jail?

I find it easier to use pkg then ports and I like the idea of not having to download the ports tree in every jail.

Your second run there is no plex installed, if that jail is still around, try pkg install plexmediaserver_plexpass from inside the jail

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Did you change the default permissions on your jails dataset at some point?

Michael De Cou

Explorer
Looks like I did, and that is the cause. What "should" the permissions for the iocage folder be? I set it back to 755 and it works now.
Furthermore, it looks like I hosed up permissions all over the place.... But i will start a new discussion on that.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.