Cant seem to reinstall fresh copy on pre-existing box

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3VCl3

Cadet
Hi,

I have a tower that was running Freenas with Plex media server plugin on it. Long story short I want a fresh install of freenas on same box, But when I have tried it just keeps trying to boot old install. I have set boot priority to cd
rom and put in install disc. It just keeps booting old install. I have even plugged Master into other PC and wiped the files then put it back in Freenas box. when i tried to install it just started trying to recover\repair.

Am I missing something what do I need to do to get it to let me do a fresh install?

gpsguy

Please provide detailed hardware specs and FreeNAS version, per the rules in red at the top of the page.

What do you mean by "MASTER"? Are you trying to install FreeNAS to a flash drive or did you install it on a hard disk? Did you follow the directions in the manual for burning the ISO?

You could try doing the install on another machine, test it there, and moving the boot device back to your "server".

I have even plugged Master into other PC and wiped the files then put it back in Freenas box. when i tried to install it just started trying to recover\repair.

R3VCl3

Cadet
Please provide detailed hardware specs and FreeNAS version, per the rules in red at the top of the page.

What do you mean by "MASTER"? Are you trying to install FreeNAS to a flash drive or did you install it on a hard disk? Did you follow the directions in the manual for burning the ISO?

You could try doing the install on another machine, test it there, and moving the boot device back to your "server".

Yes I followed the instructions to a tee, and have a good burned install cd. Same one i used to install the first time.
I do not have another machine ATM i can move it to.

Is there a way to force the CD to run a fresh install instead of trying to repair old install?

Specs

I5
gigabyte 78lmt usb3
6gb Ram 1066 ddr3
Master 1x 500gb Internal HD
Storage 3x2tb Internal HD
700w thermaltake pwr

Freenas version should be 9.10

gpsguy

I wasn't suggesting that you move the server to a new machine - just using the other machine to do the install on the boot device and to test whether it would boot FreeNAS.

If you wiped the "master" disk in another pc correctly, it should be doing a fresh install.

Rather than using a 500GB HD (is it SATA or IDE), you might try installing FreeNAS on a 8-16GB flash drive. You'll need to change the boot order on your mobo to boot off of it.

One note, you're a little shy on RAM. 8GB is the minimum needed for a basic filer. Adding things like Plex, requires additional RAM.

R3VCl3

Cadet
Hmm interesting . I will see about getting a new flash tomorrow and try your suggestion.

R3VCl3

Cadet
OK i just tried reformatting and wiping master drive again and tried to reinstall but am now getting grub rescue?
Do i need to unplug the storage drives?

I seriously dont understand why it wont just let me install fresh.

Edit- I have now tried with nothing but the master drive plugged in. Only the master and the cd rom. And still every time goes to ( grub rescue )

Last edited:

R3VCl3

Cadet
OK i think I got it. Im sorry apparently my USB-CDrom was plugged into usb ports the MOBO didnt like I have no idea why I just radomly tried changing the ports it was plugged into, rebooted and finally i can install. Thank you for all your Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.