Can't resolve hostnames within my jails

zimon

Contributor
Hello,

I recently moved my freenas to a different network and therefore I had to change the ip adresses of all my jails (from 192.168.188.x to 192.168.1.x)

Unfortunalty I can't ping any internet adress anymore within any of my jails.
When I try
ping google.com
I get
ping: cannot resolve google.com: Host name lookup failure

Pinging 8.8.8.8 works fine.

Anyone any ideas?

D

dlavigne

Does netstat -rn within the jail show the correct default gateway?

zimon

Contributor
no it didn't.
I am stupid.

I changed it in /etc/resolve.conf

it works now

D

dlavigne

I assume you mean /etc/rc.conf for the gateway, so you won't be disappointed at next boot :smile:

Ixian

Patron
I think /etc/rc.conf is just the default fallback, sounds like @zimon doesn't have the gateway/dns configured correctly in the GUI: Network>Global Configuration. Those are stored in the Freenas config db, which over-write default.conf values if the values are present in it. That's the better way to do it I think.

Changes to /etc/resolv.conf inside the jail itself will, as @dlavigne pointed out, reset on next boot.

zimon

Contributor
I think /etc/rc.conf is just the default fallback, sounds like @zimon doesn't have the gateway/dns configured correctly in the GUI: Network>Global Configuration. Those are stored in the Freenas config db, which over-write default.conf values if the values are present in it. That's the better way to do it I think.

Changes to /etc/resolv.conf inside the jail itself will, as @dlavigne pointed out, reset on next boot.
thanks, you are right, those settings are not set.

since my gateway (my router on 196.168.1.1) is already configured to use 1.1.1.1 as a nameserver should I put 196.168.1.1 in all settings in the GUI>network>Global configuration?
For ipv4 gateway and nameserver?

Ixian

Patron
Yes, that's generally the way to do it if you have DNS resolving set up on your router; assuming that is the DNS all your other devices use then your Freenas server should be consistent with them. You can always add a secondary DNS to Freenas as a backup. If you do any kind of network ad blocking (like a Pi-hole, or PFBlockerNG with pfsense, etc.) then you always want to just use it.

By the way if you've never looked in to it consider a network-wide adblocker, they are pretty awesome. Different topic though.

zimon

Contributor
By the way if you've never looked in to it consider a network-wide adblocker, they are pretty awesome. Different topic though.

Thats anawesome idea :) will set it on my todo list :)