network issue when changing jail ip address

hagak

Cadet
I have noticed that if I change my Jails IP address via dhcp reservation, ie NOT changing any setting in the Jail itself. The Jail is no longer able to connect to the internet.
After Jail creation with DHCP I have no issues pinging google.com from inside the a jail. I then change the Jails ip address by assigning it a DHCP reservation and restarting the Jail. Note new ip is within the same subnet and have confirmed there are no ip conflicts. With the new ip address the Jail is no longer able to ping google.com, it can still resolve the ip address so it is not a DNS issue. If I move the reservation back to the originally assigned ip address it works fine.

The default routes do not change between working an non-working configuration as well.

Is there some other restriction on networking in a Jail that I am missing?

D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, which FreeNAS version?

nojohnny101

Wizard
I then change the Jails IP address by assigning it a DHCP reservation and restarting the Jail.
Can you elaborate on this a little bit more. Are you doing this on the router side or within the jail itself?

hagak

Cadet
Doing the IP assignment change on the router side.

To follow up I have not determined the exact cause of the issue but it seems to be related to the poor choice of ip I made. x.x.x.13 is the one the would not work, however any other open ip in that subnet statically assigned or dynmanic worked fine. I did ping and portscan of the x.x.x.13 ip and found nothing so not sure why it particularly would not work.