SOLVED Can't login to root despite correct password

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladTepes

Patron
I absolutely KNOW the password, and have checked my memory from a written record.
But the webgui won't let me log in using that password at all.

It doesn't chuck ANY error message at all. It just refreshes that page so I am again presented with a blank username/password box to complete.

Now I've found a VGA cable I ought to be able to access the console so if anyone can tell me what I can do to rescue the situation - that'd be tops !

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
From the console, open a shell, then use passwd

VladTepes

Patron
Thanks. Turns out the gender changer that came with my VGA cable doesn't fit. Bugger. This may have to wait...

I tried to SSH in but it just wants user name and password same as webgui and not accepting the password.

Edit: Wait, what? Suddenly the webgui does let me log in with the right password.. Hmm odd.

Last edited:

wires

Cadet
I know this sounds stupid but if the password contains numbers are you using the numbers above the QWERTY keys? Have you tried another keyboard? Have you typed the password into a text document and made sure it is being rendered as expected? If so can you copy and paste it into a password field or prompt?

All tried and true things that have gotten me or users around password problems.

If none of this works then you will most likely need physical access to the machine with a directly connected monitor and keyboard. Then;
  1. Restart the system.
  2. At the boot: prompt, enter boot -s to enter Single User Mode.
  3. When asked what shell to use, press the Enter key.
  4. Because the root filesystem will be mounted read-only by default, you will need to remount it using the mount -ruw / command to give yourself read/write access.
  5. Run mount -a to remount all filesystems specified in the /etc/fstab file.
  6. Run passwd root to set a new root password.
  7. Run exit to continue booting normally.
from - Recover FreeBSD root access when you forgot the password

One of the many reasons your server is only as secure as where it is located...

VladTepes

Patron
OK cool thank you.
It's all working now but I'm sure that will be very helpful for anyone searching this in future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.