SSH Login failures in the last 24 hours. Prohibit root password

Hello,

I am wondering if I can some how "disable password" for root, but not for others.
I mean set it with a reply to clients "root@server: Permission denied (publickey)".

Technically password for root is disabled. I use public key for this account, but if I login it will ask for a password.
It will not be accepted even if type a correct one.

In my company where I am at the moment we have our internal network scanned and tested for weak root passwords.
So I keep seeing this message in TrueNAS Scale 22.12.0.
2022-12-20_17-04-37.png

My configuration
2022-12-20_17-05-13.png

2022-12-20_17-06-18.png

If it would be a manual configuration I would set it to "PermitRootLogin prohibit-password" instead of "PermitRootLogin without-password"
So is there a proper way to configure it?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The only way I can see doing this is to create a post-init init/shutdown task that appends "PermitRootLogin prohibit-password" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

The only way I can see doing this is to create a post-init init/shutdown task that appends "PermitRootLogin prohibit-password" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
I guess using sed

sed -i 's/^PermitRootLogin.*/PermitRootLogin prohibit-password/' /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Daisuke

Contributor
I use public key for this account, but if I login it will ask for a password.
That's standard Linux behaviour, your sed will not do anything. Change the ssh port from 22 to a different port say 22222, so the scanners will find a closed port. Into UI, of course. Any changes to OS will be reverted back to UI defined settings, after a reboot. Is a way for Scale to make sure you don't break things by accident. List of all used ports, pick one private port. :smile:
  • The Well Known Ports (0-1023) - which are reserved for the operating system and core services.
  • The Registered Ports (1024-49151) - which can be used by applications, specific services, and users.
  • The Dynamic and/or Private Ports (49152-65535)
1671594949847.png

Last edited:
That's standard Linux behaviour, your sed will not do anything. Change the ssh port from 22 to a different port say 22222, so the scanners will find a closed port. Into UI, of course. Any changes to OS will be reverted back to UI defined settings, after a reboot. Is a way for Scale to make sure you don't break things by accident. List of all used ports, pick one that is free. :smile:
  • The Well Known Ports (0-1023) - which are reserved for the operating system and core services.
  • The Registered Ports (1024-49151) - which can be used by applications, specific services, and users.
  • The Dynamic and/or Private Ports (49152-65535)
Thank you. I am aware how to change port =) This is what I usually do for my own machines, but we have restricted network. So all ssh required to be on port 22. Not standart ports are blocked.

Daisuke

Contributor
So all ssh required to be on port 22.
I see, then there is nothing you can do to prohibit the port scan messages you see in UI. You were talking about performing a sed into /etc/ssh/sshd_config, which will not do anything to your port scanner messages and also revert back to previous value after reboot. See public release changes for PermitRootLogin, without-password and prohibit-password is the same thing.
* The default for the sshd_config(5) PermitRootLogin option has
changed from "yes" to "prohibit-password".

* PermitRootLogin=without-password/prohibit-password now bans all
interactive authentication methods, allowing only public-key,
hostbased and GSSAPI authentication (previously it permitted
keyboard-interactive and password-less authentication if those
were enabled).

I see, then there is nothing you can do to prohibit the port scan messages you see in UI. You were talking about performing a sed into /etc/ssh/sshd_config, which will not do anything to your port scanner messages and also revert back to previous value after reboot. See public release changes for PermitRootLogin, without-password and prohibit-password is the same thing.
You are right it will not do anything. Thank you for info! I will be seeing this messages. At least I know I passed the check :grin:

artlessknave

Wizard
in your SSH service config you can control users.
editing config files on truenas is usually a recipe for the settings to go away on an upgrade.

Auxiliary Parameters

MaxAuthTries 6
MaxSessions 10
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no
PasswordAuthentication no

Match user root
PasswordAuthentication no
PubkeyAuthentication no