Can't check for updates or manually update

Sparktrician

Dabbler
When I try to check for updates under System / Update, I get a continuously blue circle (activity indicator?) and under the "INSTALL MANUAL UPDATE FILE" button I get a message that reads:

Code:
"b'': Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings."

Network / Network Summery
re0
192.168.1.3/24
Default Routes
router 192.168.1.1
Nameservers
dns 1.1.1.1

dns 1.0.0.1

I downloaded FreeNAS-11.2-U7-manual-update.tar to my Linux-Mint machine. I used the, "INSTALL MANUAL UPDATES FILE" button. During the update attempt I get a small window that reads, "Manual Update. Starting Job...". That window changes to show a percentage of progress. A few seconds later the operation ends with a window that reads:

Code:
[EFAULT] b''

FAILED

Clicking the '+' in the window displays this message:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Manifest.py", line 682, in RunValidationProgram

subprocess.check_output(valid_script, preexec_fn=PreExecHook, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 356, in check_output

**kwargs).stdout

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 438, in run

output=stdout, stderr=stderr)

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command './ValidateUpdate' died with <Signals.SIGABRT: 6>.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 573, in do_update

ApplyUpdate(dest_extracted)

File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Update.py", line 1248, in ApplyUpdate

new_manifest.RunValidationProgram(directory)

File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Manifest.py", line 684, in RunValidationProgram

raise Exceptions.UpdateInvalidUpdateException(err.output.rstrip())

freenasOS.Exceptions.UpdateInvalidUpdateException: b''

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 333, in run

await self.future

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 364, in __run_body

rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf

return await f(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 577, in file

await self.middleware.run_in_thread(do_update)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1004, in run_in_thread

return await self.loop.run_in_executor(executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run

result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 575, in do_update

raise CallError(str(e))

middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] b''

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Steve

Fredda

Guru
When I try to check for updates under System / Update, I get a continuously blue circle (activity indicator?) and under the "INSTALL MANUAL UPDATE FILE" button I get a message that reads:

Code:
"b'': Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings."
What happens if you run the update command from the shell? The output of the command freenas-update -v check might help.

Sparktrician

Dabbler
Thank you for the suggestion, but it did not work.

Screenshot_2019-11-20 FreeNAS - fn me.png

notspam

Dabbler
I have the exact same problem as the OP. I did not try to do a manual update but, I ran the recommended command line frrom @Fredda and got the same results with errors as @Sparktrician. Please advise.

Fredda

Guru
Thank you for the suggestion, but it did not work.
I did not expect that to work, but I was hoping the output could tell a little bit more about what is happening.
Please don't post screenshot of command outputs, copy the text into the post and put it in [code][/code] tags.
From the parts of the output it seems there is something wrong with the filesystem of the FreeNAS system partition.
Do you have an USB stick as a boot drive? Could it be your system drive is full?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

notspam

Dabbler
In my case, my boot drive is mirrored 16GB USB sticks.

EDIT: From Boot Environments
Boot Pool Condition : ONLINE
Size: 14.1G
Used: 10.9G(77%)
Last Scrub Run on: November 14th 2019, 3:56:45 am

Sparktrician

Dabbler
I did not expect that to work, but I was hoping the output could tell a little bit more about what is happening.
Please don't post screenshot of command outputs, copy the text into the post and put it in [code][/code] tags.
From the parts of the output it seems there is something wrong with the filesystem of the FreeNAS system partition.
Do you have an USB stick as a boot drive? Could it be your system drive is full?

Here is what I get with df -h from the shell

Code:
Filesystem                                                            Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-U6                                             103G    1.0G    102G     1%    /
devfs                                                                 1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
tmpfs                                                                  16G     10M     16G     0%    /etc
tmpfs                                                                 2.0G    8.0K    2.0G     0%    /mnt
tmpfs                                                                 1.3T     47M    1.3T     0%    /var
fdescfs                                                               1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev/fd
fileserver                                                            931G    139K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver
fileserver/games                                                      931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/games
fileserver/iocage                                                     931G    4.3M    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage
fileserver/iocage/download                                            931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/download
fileserver/iocage/download/11.2-RELEASE                               931G    272M    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/download/11.2-RELEASE
fileserver/iocage/images                                              931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/images
fileserver/iocage/jails                                               931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/jails
fileserver/iocage/log                                                 931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/log
fileserver/iocage/releases                                            931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/releases
fileserver/iocage/releases/11.2-RELEASE                               931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/releases/11.2-RELEASE
fileserver/iocage/releases/11.2-RELEASE/root                          932G    1.2G    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/releases/11.2-RELEASE/root
fileserver/iocage/templates                                           931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/iocage/templates
fileserver/jails                                                      931G    139K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/jails
fileserver/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail-9.3-x64                  931G    498M    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail-9.3-x64
fileserver/jails/.warden-template-standard-11.0-x64                   933G    2.2G    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/jails/.warden-template-standard-11.0-x64
fileserver/jails/.warden-template-standard-11.0-x64-20180216155650    933G    2.2G    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/jails/.warden-template-standard-11.0-x64-20180216155650
fileserver/jails_2                                                    931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/jails_2
fileserver/linux                                                      931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/linux
fileserver/mac                                                        931G    224K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/mac
fileserver/pc                                                         931G    144K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/pc
fileserver/pc/files-documents                                         1.3T    443G    931G    32%    /mnt/fileserver/pc/files-documents
fileserver/pc/media                                                   1.0T    116G    931G    11%    /mnt/fileserver/pc/media
fileserver/scan                                                       931G    117K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/scan
fileserver/scans                                                      931G    682K    931G     0%    /mnt/fileserver/scans
fileserver/time-machine                                               300G    235G     65G    78%    /mnt/fileserver/time-machine
fileserver/.system                                                    931G    160K    931G     0%    /var/db/system
fileserver/.system/cores                                              931G     44M    931G     0%    /var/db/system/cores
fileserver/.system/samba4                                             931G    837K    931G     0%    /var/db/system/samba4
fileserver/.system/syslog-839d4bf50898424ab2b76c72b7c93def            931G    117K    931G     0%    /var/db/system/syslog-839d4bf50898424ab2b76c72b7c93def
fileserver/.system/rrd-839d4bf50898424ab2b76c72b7c93def               931G    117K    931G     0%    /var/db/system/rrd-839d4bf50898424ab2b76c72b7c93def
fileserver/.system/configs-839d4bf50898424ab2b76c72b7c93def           931G     10M    931G     0%    /var/db/system/configs-839d4bf50898424ab2b76c72b7c93def
fileserver/.system/webui                                              931G    117K    931G     0%    /var/db/system/webui
tmpfs                                                                 1.0G     77M    947M     8%    /var/db/collectd/rrd
/dev/label/FreeNASmdu                                                 2.6G    8.0K    2.4G     0%    /var/tmp/firmware

I ran
Code:
df -h >> df.txt
then copied df.txt to a share, and from there copied and pasted it to this forum.

I can't get the output of freenas-update into a file. When I run either

Code:
freenas-update -v check >> update.txt
or
freenas-update -v check | update.txt

the file update.txt is created but it is empty. I can't copy the output from the shell using Firefox browser either. If you still want the output of freenas-update, and you know how, let me know and I'll do it.

Dell M017G Studio 540 Motherboard IPIEL-RN2
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
8GB RAM
OCZ-AGILITY3 120GB boot drive
3 X 1 TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ RAID Z
On-board disk controller
On-board network adapter

Steve

Last edited:

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
The 77% used on the boot drives might be in the way.
Try to delete a bunch of older updates to get more free space.

Sparktrician

Dabbler
The 77% used on the boot drives might be in the way.
Try to delete a bunch of older updates to get more free space.

I'm only using 1GB of a 120GB drive.

Fredda

Guru
can't get the output of freenas-update into a file. When I run either

Code:
freenas-update -v check >> update.txt
or
freenas-update -v check | update.txt

the file update.txt is created but it is empty. I can't copy the output from the shell using Firefox browser either. If you still want the output of freenas-update, and you know how, let me know and I'll do it.
It should work with freenas-update -v check >& update.txt, see here about csh redirection.
Can't you just mark the text in the FreeNAS GUI shell and copy it? But better would probably be to ssh from your client into the server with putty or MobXTerm (I prefer the latter).

Anyway. I'm worried about the error message about the missing /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, this is a fundamental library which should not miss.
Combined with the missing file error at the top of the image it shows, there is something wrong with your system/boot volume.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Oki, now I see it.
It was "notspam" that has the boot volume a bit crowded.
And that's why users need to start their own thread when they are having problems.

Sparktrician

Dabbler
It should work with freenas-update -v check >& update.txt, see here about csh redirection.
Can't you just mark the text in the FreeNAS GUI shell and copy it? But better would probably be to ssh from your client into the server with putty or MobXTerm (I prefer the latter).

Anyway. I'm worried about the error message about the missing /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, this is a fundamental library which should not miss.
Combined with the missing file error at the top of the image it shows, there is something wrong with your system/boot volume.

Thank you for the command line help.

Code:
[freenasOS.Configuration:601] TryGetNetworkFile(['https://update-master.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE/LATEST'])
[urllib3.connectionpool:824] Starting new HTTPS connection (1): update-master.ixsystems.com
[urllib3.connectionpool:396] https://update-master.ixsystems.com:443 "GET /FreeNAS/FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE/LATEST HTTP/1.1" 200 1957
[freenasOS.Configuration:731] TryGetNetworkFile(['https://update-master.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE/LATEST']):  Read 1957 bytes total
[freenasOS.Configuration:601] TryGetNetworkFile(['https://update-master.ixsystems.com/updates/ix_crl.pem'])
[urllib3.connectionpool:824] Starting new HTTPS connection (1): update-master.ixsystems.com
[urllib3.connectionpool:396] https://update-master.ixsystems.com:443 "GET /updates/ix_crl.pem HTTP/1.1" 200 1028
[freenasOS.Configuration:76] CheckFreeSpace(path=/tmp/tmprjahdeni.pem, pool=None, required=1028)
[freenasOS.Configuration:731] TryGetNetworkFile(['https://update-master.ixsystems.com/updates/ix_crl.pem']):  Read 1028 bytes total
[freenasOS.Configuration:601] TryGetNetworkFile(['https://update-master.ixsystems.com/updates/ix_crl.pem'])
[urllib3.connectionpool:396] https://update-master.ixsystems.com:443 "GET /updates/ix_crl.pem HTTP/1.1" 200 1028
[freenasOS.Configuration:76] CheckFreeSpace(path=/tmp/tmpgmzjlb24.pem, pool=None, required=1028)
[freenasOS.Configuration:731] TryGetNetworkFile(['https://update-master.ixsystems.com/updates/ix_crl.pem']):  Read 1028 bytes total
[freenasOS.Update:1620] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
[freenasOS.Update:938] Incomplete cache directory, will try continuing
[freenasOS.Update:951] Going to try checking cached manifest /var/db/system/update/MANIFEST
[freenasOS.Update:963] Going to try loading manifest file now
[freenasOS.Configuration:76] CheckFreeSpace(path=/tmp/tmpg7v9pghs.pem, pool=None, required=1028)
[freenasOS.Update:965] Loaded manifest file
[freenasOS.Update:966] Cached manifest file has sequence f93a3b67973bac31ececa871460a45e7, latest_manfest has sequence f93a3b67973bac31ececa871460a45e7
[freenas-update:187] b''
Update not permitted:
b''

notspam

Dabbler
And that's why users need to start their own thread when they are having problems.

If I had started my own OP on the exact same problem would you have jumped in to assist? Or would have just said people need to follow forum rules and nothing else? :)

I considered starting my own thread but since his was the exact same symptom (don't know yet if root cause is the same yet), I figured collaboration was a better option. Maybe that should be considered for forum rules. ;)

notspam

Dabbler
Oki, now I see it.
It was "notspam" that has the boot volume a bit crowded.

Thanks. How do I remove older updates?

@Fredda Thanks for the tool suggestion. I had been thinking of returning to a terminal app. MobaXTerm is better than I have used in the past with putty. Anyway I ran the same command freenas-update -v check >& update.txt as @Sparktrician and got the exact same output down to the same sequence number.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If I had started my own OP on the exact same problem would you have jumped in to assist? Or would have just said people need to follow forum rules and nothing else? :)

I considered starting my own thread but since his was the exact same symptom (don't know yet if root cause is the same yet), I figured collaboration was a better option. Maybe that should be considered for forum rules. ;)
But you and the OP have completely different hardware setups hence the need for separate threads. You can continue to be snarky and crap on the OP's thread diminishing his attempts at getting help or you can start your own thread so both of you can get resolution to your problems.

Fredda

Guru
[freenasOS.Update:1620] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
Again, here is something not OK with you filesystem. Although this time there is no error regarding the missing missing /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
I think you should file a bug-report.

Sparktrician

Dabbler

I'm with you notspam. I created this thread and you are welcome here. Feel free to ignore those who offer no contribution.

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
Thanks. How do I remove older updates?
Menu on the left side, choose:
System > Boot environments
Then left-click on the 3 vertical dots at the far right for the old boot envitonment you want to delete, and chose delete.
Choose activate if you want to boot from that version of FreeNAS.
Don't go too far back in time if you have upgraded the ZFS fileststem.