Cannot access Web UI for Eaton UPS Network-MS card on 172.x.x.x network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inxsible

Guru
I have an Eaton 5PX1500RTN UPS with a Network-MS card installed and I could access the Web UI when I first set it up during initial testing on a 192.168.1.1/24 network.

I made sure that I used DHCP in the "Network" properties for the Eaton web card. Then I put the UPS on my actual network which has 172.x.x.x setup with a /16 subnet. But now I cannot access the Web UI for the Eaton UPS at all.

I could see that it received a DHCP address in my router (but the device is always shown as offline in the DHCP lease list)-- but trying that IP, it just fails to connect and times out. I even tried setting a static IP for the UPS's MAC address in my router, but I still cannot get to the Web UI.

To double check if I had actually set the card up as DHCP -- I put it back on a 192.168.1.1/24 network and I could immediately get to the Web UI. Again made sure it is set to DHCP -- put it back on the 172.x.x.x network and yet again I couldn't access the Web UI.

What can I do so that the card will allow me to get into the Web UI on the 172 network?

Here's the error that I see in the FreeNAS footer console window:
Code:
.... upsmon[43232]: UPS [ups]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

I am unable to connect to the UPS even from my pfSense box(upsc command & even pfSense WebUI). During testing on the 192.168.1.1/24 network, I was able to communicate with the UPS from the pfSense box as well as my FreeNAS box.

SSHing into my pfSense or my FreeNAS box and issuing the upsc command gives me the following:
Code:
root@freenas:/mnt/tank/home/freenas # upsc ups
Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

I also tried the upsc command using the IP address that is assigned in the DHCP lease list and still got the same connection refused error.

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
What it turned out to be was that I had to switch off the UPS (which I had already tried before), but in addition, I had to pull the plug from the wall socket and I let it sit without power for the entire night and then restart everything. I don't know if there is a specific time that the power has to be out until the card "resets" but overnight definitely works.

Seems the IP or the IP range gets cached somewhere. This seems like a bug because a DHCP assigned address should be able to reset when you change the assignment in the router and restart the DHCP server or the router.

I hate issues like these.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.