Brand new drive showing as degraded

Gitryst

Dabbler
Just replaced a WD 4TB drive with a WD Red Plus WD40EFZX CMR drive. Aftr resilvering the drive is showing as degraded asn Attempting to run SMART test yields a "No match found" error message. Also, another drive is now showing as degraded that was healthy before resilver. Any ideas on how to rectify this? Is the new drive faulty? Isit just a matter of timing that another drive failed at exactly this time? Also, I am unclear on how to retrieve test results. Still pretyy new at this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Without a full zpool status and smartctl -a output it is a bit difficult to come up with any idea. My crystal ball is at the shop at the moment :wink:

Gitryst

Dabbler
I did not do a burn in test of the HDD. Does Truenas have this as a function or do I need to remove it and do a 3rd party test? I have heard of Hard Disk Sentinel as one way to perform integrity tests.

Gitryst

Dabbler
Struggling with adding an SSH user as well. Nothing easy here....No love with shell either - Invalid argument with the: "smartctl -t /dev/adax" short test.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Trying to add user for SSH, but submit button not active.

What version are you running? This was an issue with early versions of 11.3, and was fixed in 11.3-U4.

Gitryst

Dabbler
TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1. This is the error:

[EFAULT] Unable to connect to remote system: not enough values to unpack (expected 3, got 1)

Dan Tudora

Patron
Struggling with adding an SSH user as well
hello
another user for SSH ??
why not use root user for that ??
and another question
that HDD is in your pool ??
if answer is YES that HDD have data
be carefully, OR you can lost your pool :frown: and that is not optimal

Samuel Tai

smartctl -t /dev/adax

Try smartctl --test=short /dev/adax for a short test. Likewise, change the parameter to long for a long test.

Gitryst

Dabbler
Can't connect with root- access denied, so I though a user would have to be added. I can connect with the username created, although the first message is: Could not change to home directory /nonexistent. There is a truenas% for command prompt. Typing the "smartctl" command yields an "Invalid argument" response.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
IS with SSH (ssh access from another computer with putty from windows or from linux/unix flavor) ??
in free/truenas at SSH services must check checkbox "allow root to acccess etc."
and after that must to work with root account

Samuel Tai

Struggling with adding an SSH user as well.

The key here is to generate a SSH public and private key outside of TrueNAS. Here's how I created a SSH user:

1615498945132.png

In the SSH Public Key field, paste in the SSH public key you just created where the red arrow points. This will populate the user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file. Then in PuTTY, set the private key under Connection->SSH->Auth, and the user login under Connection->Data->Auto-login username.

Also remember to set a password for this user, which is the password to use for sudo su - after you've SSHed in.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Could not change to home directory /nonexistent.

Ah, you didn't create a home directory dataset for your SSH user. The /nonexistent setting means this user is configured without a home directory. This won't work, as a home directory will be needed to store the SSH public key.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Or put your public key into the config of the root user and permit root login in the ssh service config.

We don't do ssh root logins in our data centre @work, but for my private network I think root with public key and disabling of password authentication altogether for ssh is a reasonable compromise of security and ease of use.

EugenioTF

Dabbler
Just replaced a WD 4TB drive with a WD Red Plus WD40EFZX CMR drive. Aftr resilvering the drive is showing as degraded asn Attempting to run SMART test yields a "No match found" error message. Also, another drive is now showing as degraded that was healthy before resilver. Any ideas on how to rectify this? Is the new drive faulty? Isit just a matter of timing that another drive failed at exactly this time? Also, I am unclear on how to retrieve test results. Still pretyy new at this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I bought the same hard drive WD40EFZX CMR today and I also have truenas showing the checksum error. I don't know what to do!

Redcoat

MVP
Standard advice here would be to test and burn in the drive before you attempt to put it into a pool in your FreeNAS box.

Uncle Fester's Guide found in the Resources here :https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/uncle-festers-freenas-beginners-guide.120/ describes the suggested procedure very well - in Chapter 4 (c) https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:hvalid_hdd you have a step-by-step guide to the process of testing and burning in a new hard drive for your FreeNAS/TrueNAS server.

Please test your new drive and confirm all is good before trying it in a TrueNAS pool again - come back and tell us what happens in a new thread.

Last edited:

EugenioTF

Dabbler
Standard advice here would be to test and burn in the drive before you attempt to put it into a pool in your FreeNAS box.

Uncle Fester's Guide found in the Resources here :https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/uncle-festers-freenas-beginners-guide.120/ describes the suggested procedure very well - in Chapter 4 (c) https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:hvalid_hdd you have a step-by-step guide to the process of testing and burning in a new hard drive for your FreeNAS/TrueNAS server.

Please test your new drive and confirm all is good before trying it in a TrueNAS pool again - come back and tell us what happens in a new thread.

I have 26 4TB disks, First I bought two SMR WD RED disks and they showed the Degraded error, now I bought a WD RED PLUS disk and it also shows the DEGRADED error. I think the problem is in TRUENAS with disk compatibility. The last WD RED PLUS disk passed all the SMART tests, but the CHECKSUM error remained. My memory is 80 Gb ECC

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I think the problem is in TRUENAS with disk compatibility
What makes you think there could even be such a thing as a "disk compatibility issue"?

Without the output of zpool status -v and smartctl -a /dev/<your disk> it is quite difficult to help you in any way, no matter how much you "shout" by using bold text.