Box does not want to save to my FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabsd

Dabbler
I have a Box account and want to set up Box Sync on my Mac. This Mac has a very small disk so I want the Box Sync folder to be on my FreeNAS. However Box Sync says "it can only write to an NTFS or HFS volume". Is there a way around this? If my Mac can write to the FreeNAS no problem, why can't Box?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gabsd

Dabbler
Wouldn't this question be better directed to whatever support resources there are for Box Sync?
Well, thank you for the suggestion, but I though I would have a better chance here than talking over a choppy VoIP connection to some support person who barely speaks English and most probably has no idea what FreeNAS is and (like me) no clue as to how FreeNAS handles volumes, datasets, etc.
I will try anyway.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are there no forums or other support resources? I'm not trying to be unhelpful here; it just honestly seems like that's where your question would be better answered, because it really has nothing to do with FreeNAS. The question to ask them (in whatever forum) is whether (and how) Box Sync can save to a network drive. The fact that the network drive is on FreeNAS is irrelevant, as is how FreeNAS handles volumes/datasets/etc; it could be any shared drive/directory from any type of machine.

gabsd

Dabbler
Thanks - that actually clarifies some things for me and makes me realize I am not so network illiterate as I thought. I will try that.

gabsd

Dabbler
WOW thanks again danb35 for the suggestions. I looked in Box forums and I found a possible solution I am going to try. Here it is in case anyone else needs it:

URL='https://community.box.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/330810' said:
Make a symbolic link called Box-Root to your network drive using the MKLINK command:
C:\>mklink /d C:\Box-Root Z:\

BoxSync still won't let you select the folder C:\Box-Root as it will error out saying it needs an NTFS or HFS file system.

HOWEVER...
Create a subfolder in C:\Box-Root, for example C:\Box-Root\Root
Now select that C:\Box-Root\Root as the BoxSync folder. That will work and fool BoxSync into thinking it's a local folder.
As simple as that...

Artion

Patron
WOW thanks again danb35 for the suggestions. I looked in Box forums and I found a possible solution I am going to try. Here it is in case anyone else needs it:

It seems the solution is for windows not for mac. Have you tried to use a iscsi to share the storage on your FN so to use it as a local device on your mac? you can format it as HFS so maybe this way the BOX client will work.

gabsd

Dabbler
Thanks Artion. You are right. It doesn't work in a Mac. I tried creating a softlink and a folder within, but Box still sees it as "not HFS".
I have no idea what an iSCSI is, or how to make one. I'll try to educate myself and give it a try. Any suggested reading to start with?

Artion

Patron
Thanks Artion. You are right. It doesn't work in a Mac. I tried creating a softlink and a folder within, but Box still sees it as "not HFS".
I have no idea what an iSCSI is, or how to make one. I'll try to educate myself and give it a try. Any suggested reading to start with?
You can start with the FN manual… [emoji3]

And possibly you'd need this (the free initiator) : www.kernsafe.com/press-releases/kernsafe-releases-free-iscsi-target-initiator-for-macos.aspx

Inviato dal mio YD201 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.