Unable to import UFS volume in new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

duggulous

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to this stuff so any help would be appreciated :)

I am trying to move a volume from an old box running FreeNAS 8.3 to a new box running 9.3. The volume consists of two SATA drives in a mirrored UFS configuration. I plugged the drives into the 9.3 box and started it up, but in the GUI, the dropdown in the "import volumes" window is empty. The individual drives do show up in the GUI under "View Disks"

I then tried to import just a disk, but when selecting the filesystem, it would not allow me to continue when I had UFS selected. Oddly, NTFS would, but when I tried to proceed with that, FreeNAS showed an error (stack trace mentioned django - I think it had to do with the Fuse driver)

I put the drives back in the old box, and they work fine there.

There are almost 3 TB on this volume. I really don't want to try transferring that all over the network. Is there something I can do to get FreeNAS 9.3 to import it?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir:

UFS is not supported as of FreeNAS 9.3.

You would have to go to 9.2.1.x.

duggulous

Cadet
I see. Hmmm, that's unfortunate. Well, maybe I can find another drive and add it to the old box as ZFS, copy the data onto that and then import it into the new box.

Thanks DrKK.

duggulous

Cadet
Unless UFS support was taken out of the kernel without editing the documentation, follow the instructions here http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#import-disk

Thanks Alvin - I tried to import just a disk, but when selecting the filesystem, it would not allow me to continue when I had UFS selected. Oddly, NTFS would, but when I tried to proceed with that, FreeNAS showed an error (stack trace mentioned django - I think it had to do with the Fuse driver)

danb35

Hall of Famer
You need to have an existing ZFS pool to import the data to. FreeNAS 9.3 will not allow you to import a UFS (or NTFS) volume and keep it mounted--the import mounts the disk, copies the data to a specified dataset in your pool, and then unmounts it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thanks danb35. I should have been more verbose.

The OP will need to go to a pre-9.3 version, as far as I know, to mount and access routinely (e.g., for copying or whatever) his pool. Unless, as you say, he can create a ZFS pool that is ready to receive the UFS pool.

duggulous

Cadet
I have an empty ZFS pool ready to receive the data, but when I go through the import disk process, I get the message, "The selected disks were not verified for these import rules. Filesystem check failed." If I select NTFS as the filesystem then the console shows "import of Volume encountered the following error <django.utils.functional._proxy_ object at 0x8053e4c10", and the GUI shows a progress bar that never goes anywhere. But I'm pretty sure the pool is UFS formatted anyway.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have an empty ZFS pool ready to receive the data, but when I go through the import disk process, I get the message, "The selected disks were not verified for these import rules. Filesystem check failed." If I select NTFS as the filesystem then the console shows "import of Volume encountered the following error <django.utils.functional._proxy_ object at 0x8053e4c10", and the GUI shows a progress bar that never goes anywhere. But I'm pretty sure the pool is UFS formatted anyway.

Uhh.. "pool" implies ZFS. There is no "UFS Pool" or "NTFS Pool" or "any-other-kind" besides ZFS zpools.

Status
Not open for further replies.