Importing NTFS Disk to ZFS Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemo1478

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS with just the Plex plugin. I have 4 2TB drives arranged in two mirrored pairs. I have a single Dataset and a single CIFS share with sub-folders containing media files.

I can successfully access the CIFS share from a Windows PC, create and delete files and folders with no problems. I have been transferring data to this CIFS share via the network only.

I recently got a 2TB NTFS disk with data that I wanted to transfer to the ZFS volume so I attempted the Disk Import feature using the GUI. First I installed the disk in the FreeNAS system, logged in as root from the GUI, selected the NTFS disk, chose NTFS and pointed the data to the folder within the CIFS share where I wanted the files copied. I then clicked on 'Import Volume' and the transfer started. I saw the individual file names being copied so I went to bed.

Next morning the copy process appeared complete but when I checked the CIFS share from the Windows PC, I only saw the folder names created but no data was inside the folders. There was no change in my storage space.

At the shell at the bottom of the GUI I noted the following lines of text:

freenas ntfs-3g[62459]: Cmdline options: ro
freenas ntfs-3g[62459]: Mount options: ro, allow_other, nonempty, relatime, fsname=/dev/da7s1
freenas ntfs-3g[62459]: Ownership and permissions disabled, configuration type 1

So I'm assuming I have some sort of permission issue. Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem? I had to resort to transferring the data over the network from a USB connected harddrive enclosure. It was torture. Took close to 18hrs. I really don't want to have to repeat this process.

System specs.

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 with Plex plugin
Supermicro X10Sl7-F-O Motherboard
Intel Xeon CPU E3-1245 Processor
32GB ECC Crucial RAM
Intel RAID Expander Card (RES2SV240)
Two (2) Norco C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 Reverse Breakout Cables
Norco RPC-4224 case

nemo1478

Dabbler
No I didn't consider doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
Ditto here,
Tried multiple drives, no love here.
I for sure understand FreeBSD, let alone FreeNAS does NOT want to troubleshoot or debug NTFS issues.
I don't understand why there is no cumulative knowledge, made available in the manual or the GUI regarding what scenarios are
known to be problematic....
GPT vs MBR? Large disks? Disks that have UEFI partitions on non UEFI systems?
A few of my drives get to 95%, BUTTONS FOR ABORT AND RUN IN BACKGROUND???
..WHAT up with that?
Aside...GUI seems ridiculous...'Import Disk'...then Click 'Import Volume' Button?? After selecting a partition,
from a 'Member Disk' drop down.

Anyways. I complain because I care. 9.3>9.2 GUI... just to give some positive karma for a change.

Yatti420

Wizard
What kind of NTFS disk is it? Just a raw drive? or USB enclosure or? My understanding is with NTFS (unlike FAT) is that it's read only with limited use other then like a quick copy off etc.. Aslong as you understand that you could try mounting it manually via CLI (don't forget to unmount it)..

Last edited:

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
Sorry, not much constructive to add beyond it's not working for me. Last year, 2014???, I manually loaded fuse module for reading; was learning experience but not that complicated. YES, I connect them, as most should/would, via SATA3 on mobo. i do plan to test this by making some fresh formats soon; shouldn't be too complicated to troubleshoot....to see if it works at all, and to hopefully report what SOME problems are.

Status
Not open for further replies.