Import/Mount ntfs drive error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azimut

Cadet
Hi,

I've recently decided to convert my home windows server to FreeNas.

So far I've :
  • installed FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201603252134 on a usb key
  • Sucessfully booted and minimally configured freeNAS
  • Replace 2 HDD by new 3 TB hdd and mounted them in ZFS, the second HDD extending the first one
  • Created a dataset on HDD1 to import my data
Now here's my problem, I'm trying to recuperate the data stored on 2 ntfs HDD. The server has 4HDD total, 2 that are now zfs, 2 that are ntfs and contain my data. I've tried 2 approach with no luck so far :

1. Free NAS import disk GUI : Each time try to import any of the 2 disks I get this error :
Import of Volume /dev/ada1s1 Failed.

Reason <django.utils.functional.__proxy__ object at 0x805561910>

2. With SSH terminal access logged in as root :
mount -t ntfs /dev/ada1 /mnt/HDD1/Test

mount: /dev/ada1: Operation not supported by device

3. With SSH terminal access logged in as root :

ntfs-3g /dev/ada1 /mnt/HDD1/Test

NTFS signature is missing.

Failed to mount '/dev/ada1': Invalid argument

The device '/dev/ada1' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.

Now what is strange is that those are working NTFS partitions in windows, I've also successfully accessed them with a live cd of parted magic (based on another linux distro).

Anyone has a clue??

Issue #14539

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Free NAS import disk GUI : Each time try to import any of the 2 disks I get this error :
Import of Volume /dev/ada1s1 Failed.

Reason <django.utils.functional.__proxy__ object at 0x805561910>

This is the correct way to do it though it sounds like you found a bug. Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.​

gpsguy

Note, with your disks striped together, should either one fail, you'll lose your data.

You might try running CHKDSK in Windows on those NTFS disks before trying to import them. If it still fails, just copy the data over the network. Just let it run overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
Note, with your disks striped together, should either one fail, you'll lose your data.
This. @Azimut, with your disks striped (which is what it sounds like you did), you'll have great performance, and the greatest possible capacity, but no redundancy. When one of them fails (and you know it's not a question of if but when), all data on the pool will be lost. Make sure you have backups, or (since the system's still pretty new) consider reconfiguring the pool to give you redundancy.

Azimut

Cadet
@danb35 & @gpsguy
Thanks, I have 3x#TB disks and 1x2TB disk with a raid controller, I'll read on zfs to figured out how I should configure it.

There's probably just half of my data that I would cry loosing.

maglin

Patron
where your 2 NTFS drives using software RAID or did you expand a drive onto another drive in windows? Maybe FreeNAS can't mount them because of that. Just transfer over LAN. Takes a bit longer but will get your data moved.

gpsguy

Please list the System Configuration Details for your server, per the forum rules. See - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/forum-rules.22553/#post-134570/

ZFS uses software RAID. One shouldn't use ZFS on hardware RAID. Besides not being able to monitor SMART information about your hard disks, we have seen serious problems, up to and including loss of all data, due to using hardware RAID.

Thanks, I have 3x#TB disks and 1x2TB disk with a raid controller, I'll read on zfs to figured out how I should configure it.

maglin

Patron
Technically speaking a lot of use are using a RAID controller in IT mode as a HBA. But yes ZFS builds the arrays and must have direct drive access for it to work properly. You should not build a RAID array on a controller and send that volume to FreeNAS.

baodad

Dabbler
I had a similar problem.
Prerequisites: FreeNAS 9.10 seems to have fuse loaded by default. I didn't have to, but some people need to type kldload fuse before they can use ntfs-3g command. We also need to create a mount point like mkdir /mnt/windows.
I opened a shell, and typed gpart show -l, which showed me information about my mounted disks and their partitions. I knew that my NTFS disk was ada3, but when I tried to mount it using ntfs-3g /dev/ada3 /mnt/windows I got the same 'NTFS signature is missing error.' Looking at the information from gpart, I determined that there was more than one partition on the disk, and that the one I wanted to mount was partition 2. I was able to get a successful mount by typing: ntfs-3g /dev/ada3p2 /mnt/windows

Status
Not open for further replies.