Import Volume NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

leogariba

Cadet
Wazup guys... first of all, i wanna congrats freenas team! Amazing work!

I'm experiencing some problems when trying to import an NTFS volume.

Here what i did:

Give a name to volume
Select the Disk (correctly listed here, at least the disk size)
Select NFTS
Click "Import Volume"

After that freeNAS does not mount it, neither show it in "View All Volumes".

Am I missing something? Im using the 8.0 release.

I can manually mount it with mount -t ntfs or ntfs-3g. I just wanna do it via web gui.

Thanks

I just found a similar thread in n00bs session, sorry.
Anyway.. there is no answer yet...

torrin

You cannot import NTFS volumes. FreeNAS support ZFS and UFS only. You can mount them and copy data from them, but you can not server up ntfs volumes for other to use.

leogariba

Cadet
Import

Volume4.png

So, why NTFS is an option in the image above? I cant understand..

herian

Cadet
Hi,

I just upgraded to version 8.0.1 RC1 as the documentation says and it still won't import NTFS volumes. All it says is : an error occured labelling the volume -on all volumes I tried. Am I wrong ? How to do it right ?

pslleung

Dabbler
I experienced the same even I move to 8.0.1 RC2 ... don't know why, and any one can help??

califrag

Dabbler
Just a warning regarding my experience messing around with importing NTFS volumes.... Supposedly the bug was fixed in RC1

ReleaseNotes-8.0.1-RC1.txt said:

When I was on 8.0 stable I mistakenly tried to auto-import an NTFS volume. Needless to say all the data wiped.

Just wanted to throw out a warning that make sure you are at least on RC1 since that's when the change was supposedly made to fix it. Not sure if it will definitely work for you or not but be careful. I was lucky that the data I was importing was not important.

ProtoSD

MVP
So I'm confused, is this still not working in 8.01 RC2? I'm away on vacation and haven't had the chance to do much testing. I tried to import a FAT (msdosfs) flash disk on RC1 and got the same error about labeling the disk. I don't remember if I opened a ticket or not. If it imports and wipes your data, I wouldn't consider that working.

UPDATE: I had created a ticket, here's the link, please feel free to add to it.

https://support.freenas.org/ticket/759

skipcoombe

Cadet
I have been trying with no success to import NTFS HDD volumes (freeNAS 8.0.2).

Then I see the post from torrin 06-06-2011 11:17 AM that says "You cannot import NTFS volumes. FreeNAS support ZFS and UFS only. You can mount them and copy data from them, but you can not server up ntfs volumes for other to use." (admittedly probably referring to a previous version).

What is the real answer for ver. 8.0.2 - can I mount and share NTFS? How about ext3 or ext4? I really like the appliance, but it will will
do me little good if I can't share my disks (not enough extra HDD's to import & convert my NTFS volumes to ZFS/UFS at this time).

Thanks for any help,
Skip

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Skip,

It's still not officially working in 8.02. There's a workaround in the Unofficial FAQ in my signature, but I'm not sure to what extent NTFS its supported. I know you can read from a single partitioned NTFS disk, writing seems to work, but I'm not sure to what extent.

Ext3/Ext4 are not supported, but Ext2 is from the command line only I think. I think the main difference between Ext2 and 3/4 is journaling.

FAT/MSDOSfs doesn't work properly and I haven't tried to figure out a workaround.

I think the non-native file system support is mostly there for importing your files/disks to UFS/ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.