Boots to BIOS after fresh install

lucas336

Cadet
Everytime i try installing TrueNAS Core from a usb onto an NVMe it says it installed i remove the USB then im permanently sent to BIOS as it cannot find a boot drive. I tried with CSM on and off as well as messing with a few UEFI settings.

Ryzen 9 3900X
MSI Tomahawk Max II
32GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHZ
Samsung 970 250gb Evo
2x Western Digital Red 4TB

artlessknave

Wizard
I'm not 100% sure, but I think its impossible to boot NVME with bios? if so, you have to enable uefi, and then install the uefi version
did you install the uefi version?
does this unsupported motherboard boot from nvme?

the board is realtek, you may encounter issues.
the USB 3 ports wont be of much use.

as much as I like TrueNAS, you might want to consider a different nas that works better on consumer hardware, like unraid or omv

alternatively, TrueNAS scale might work better as well.

Why did you select that hardware? (MSI Tomahawk Max II)

That might work "okay" with Ubuntu Server/Ubuntu (or any of the other various flavors) with ext4 (not ZFS).

Have you seen:

Required Hardware:
- Hardware Guide (READ THIS BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING!!!)

Network:
- Realtek Network Adapters ARE Bad (why to avoid cheap Ethernet)

lucas336

Cadet
I'm not 100% sure, but I think its impossible to boot NVME with bios? if so, you have to enable uefi, and then install the uefi version
did you install the uefi version?
does this unsupported motherboard boot from nvme?

the board is realtek, you may encounter issues.
the USB 3 ports wont be of much use.

as much as I like TrueNAS, you might want to consider a different nas that works better on consumer hardware, like unraid or omv

alternatively, TrueNAS scale might work better as well.
yes i installed the UEFI and CSM on. and i only used the usbs to install it to the NVME.

lucas336

Cadet
Why did you select that hardware? (MSI Tomahawk Max II)

That might work "okay" with Ubuntu Server/Ubuntu (or any of the other various flavors) with ext4 (not ZFS).

Have you seen:

Required Hardware:
- Hardware Guide (READ THIS BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING!!!)

Network:
- Realtek Network Adapters ARE Bad (why to avoid cheap Ethernet)
i had it lying around and needed a motherboard that support a 3900X since i upgraded my main pc to a 5950X and when i did a test on a VM that was running ext4 and it ran fine on it.

artlessknave

Wizard
it's not a bad board but it is sub-optimal for TrueNAS and important to know that.

you can, of course, chose to use whatever, but "other" hardware can be problematic for TrueNAS.

also, using an NMVE boot is overkill.

lucas336

Cadet
it's not a bad board but it is sub-optimal for TrueNAS and important to know that.

you can, of course, chose to use whatever, but "other" hardware can be problematic for TrueNAS.

Ive just tried installing scale from usb and it actually installed im suprised core wasnt working though as the installer would still show there just had no hope booting when the drive was removed. Well wish me luck i think scale is working though.

shtrix

Cadet
Hi there.
I have a little problem with install True NAS Core 13 to my hardware.
I have old PC Aser Veriton S2610G.

What was done successfully:
When i install fnd connect system disk drive (HDD 80GB) to it, it seeing in BIOS at the BootMenu. Next i succes Install TrueNAS Scale via flash drive to system drive.
Next - reboot.

What failed:
After reboot, trying to boot TrueNAS Core from system disk was failed.
In milestones the BIOS seeing the HDD as device, but at the BootMenu the disk don't display.

I was trying to use different experiments (update BIOS, use different disks, use flash drives) and finally i found bug.
At installation process MBR-partition at the disk convert to GPT-partition. And my motherboard and BIOS dodn't see this disk as boot Device.
What can I do to install True NAS Core 13 on HDD drive in MRB mode?

Whattteva

Wizard
What was done successfully:
When i install fnd connect system disk drive (HDD 80GB) to it, it seeing in BIOS at the BootMenu. Next i succes Install TrueNAS Scale via flash drive to system drive.
Next - reboot.
I'm confused. Are you installing CORE or SCALE?

What failed:
After reboot, trying to boot TrueNAS Core from system disk was failed.
In milestones the BIOS seeing the HDD as device, but at the BootMenu the disk don't display.
You need to give more details. How many disks do you have on the machine? Is that the only disk? Do you have other disks?

shtrix

Cadet
I'm confused. Are you installing CORE or SCALE?
I'm installing True NAS Core.
You need to give more details. How many disks do you have on the machine? Is that the only disk? Do you have other disks?
What details do you need? I have 2 HDD for a pul with data and one HDD for installing system.
Yae, I'v done some test with some other HDD, but result is zero. When I use DiskPart and clean disk, HDD seeing in bootmenu, but when the TrueNAS core was installing at HDD, ISO-image is convert partition on HDD to GPT and BIOS BootMenu don't display it.

opensourceFTW

Explorer
I have the same problem. I am trying to do a fresh install of TrueNAS core. I am using a USB 2.0 thumb drive. New NAS case. TrueNAS will say install complete so just like others, upon restart my BIOS pops up. I have tried installing TrueNAS on a different SSD (I have two). Nothing works. Very frustrating.

ETA: Same hardware (minus case and power supply) worked just fine on my last TrueNAS install.

Last edited: