Fresh install of TrueNAS boots to bios

Flame

Cadet
I just installed TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U5.3 onto this system i just built, tried 3 times and even before the 3rd time i tried redoing the whole redoing the usb drive of the installer but all it does is boot into the bios. I click for UEFI mode btw and this motherboard supports it.

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100
MB: MSI Pro H610M-G DDR4
RAM: 16GB of 3200mhz ram
Boot Drive: 500gb samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD

If you need more information let me know

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is a great example of why the use of precise and correct language is so important. "Boot into the BIOS" is vague, subject to interpretation, and literally incorrect.
I can think of two options for what you're trying to say:
  1. Your system is always booting into the system firmware setup menu. This is often caused by a lack of available boot devices, as far as the system firmware is concerned, or just a misconfigured boot order (which on AMI firmware is a daily occurrence thanks to crap UI design; duplicate or even triplicate menus for slightly different aspects of the same thing; and just plain bugs).
  2. TrueNAS is being booted in CSM/legacy BIOS emulation mode, rather than UEFI mode. This isn't very substantial, but someone might be able to help you along.
If neither of these is your problem, you'll need to describe it in detail.

Flame

Cadet
This is a great example of why the use of precise and correct language is so important. "Boot into the BIOS" is vague, subject to interpretation, and literally incorrect.
I can think of two options for what you're trying to say:
  1. Your system is always booting into the system firmware setup menu. This is often caused by a lack of available boot devices, as far as the system firmware is concerned, or just a misconfigured boot order (which on AMI firmware is a daily occurrence thanks to crap UI design; duplicate or even triplicate menus for slightly different aspects of the same thing; and just plain bugs).
  2. TrueNAS is being booted in CSM/legacy BIOS emulation mode, rather than UEFI mode. This isn't very substantial, but someone might be able to help you along.
If neither of these is your problem, you'll need to describe it in detail.
when i install truenas core it asks me if i want to do uefi or bios, i chose uefi. everything seems to go well, i even have the bios on uefi mode and even have the boot drive of the ssd as the first one it should try, but everytime i boot it up (or restart) text goes flying on the screen goes directly to the bios and cant seem to figure out how to get it to just boot into truenas instead of going into the bios

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Again, there's no such thing as "going into the BIOS", words have meaning and things are a lot easier when that meaning is respected.

What you seem to be saying is that your system always boots into the system firmware setup menu. BIOS is a generic term mostly used to refer to IBM PC-compatible implementations of system firmware on x86 systems. Most PC firmware includes a setup menu application in ROM to allow for changes to settings.

So, disable all CSM options, try various boot order configurations (just the other day I wasted hours of my life because AMI decided that "USB Flash" and "USB Flash: Model number" should be different entries), disable everything you don't need, etc.
If that doesn't work, you might get lucky with an update to the system firmware. Unfortunately, debugging this stuff is not very easy.