fresh install not booting

willwb

Cadet
Hello, i'm trying to build a mini NAS home server with the following specs (mainly from Aliexpress):

I installed the TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U6.1 first with BIOS boot option. But it didn't book.
I reinstalled using the UEFI boot option. Now it boots but rebooted several times with several errors.

Now it is stuck in this part:
Code:
Syncing multipaths...
Error: vmware-checkvm must be run inside a virtual machine on a VMware hypervisior product
Error: vmware-checkvm must be run inside a virtual machine on a VMware hypervisior product
Starting interface...

After couple seconds it reboots again.

Any idea what could be the problem?
I already tried to reinstall, but with same issue.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20240128-174022.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240128-174022.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 53

artlessknave

Wizard
freebsd does not handle random hardware well, and is designed, tested, and validated for server grade hardware.
that board is so far beyond server grade im surprised it runs at all. im not even sure thats desktop grade. that looks a lot like 'random chinese parts' grade.
I wouldn't even try to troubleshoot that. I would expect that even if you got it to boot, you would just to find something else doesn't work.

you might have more success with truenas scale, but, frankly, I would highly recommend getting proper hardware instead.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, these Super China Happy Sun boxes off AliExpress are way overhyped, but the only thing they have going for them is they're cheap cheap cheap (in case it's not obvious, that should be read as a cheesy ad). The CPUs are wimpy, no ECC, SO-DIMMs are always a pain, 2.5 GbE is a recipe for headaches, etc.

The vmware stuff is just noise, but the "Starting interfaces" bit is conspicuous, given that you're the unfortunate owner of 2.5 GbE NICs. If you want to be sure, try disabling them in firmware and see if the system boots. If that works, you get a pretty useless paperweight out of the experiment, but at least you'll know for sure.