virtual machines not working (freezing, not booting)

lukdk

Cadet
Hello,

I'm trying to get a virtual machine running under TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1 but none seems to work. I don't get a specific error message though, so I'm not sure where to start looking. Truenas itself seems to be working fine, also tried to install a plugin (plex) which works fine.

In the past I was able to run virtual machines perfectly on this computer with an older version of truenas (believe it was still named freenas). I did not yet try to just install windows on the computer, without using a virtual machine. I did use the same source to install some of these OS versions on other computers fine.

I've tried the following different OS (all tests as virtual machine in truenas):

- latest version of kubuntu:
starting kubuntu from the virtual cdrom without installation seems to work fine
installation the virtual machine on the disk seems to work fine but I can't boot from the disk after installation, the system freezes very early. Looks like it doesn't get stuck each time at exactly the same point. The computer freezes with one of these messages on the screen (I tried to reinstall the virtual machine at least 3 times with each time the same results):

option 1:
[4.723....] mtd device must be supplied (device name is empty)
[OK] Finished Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen.
[OK] Finished Set console scheme.

option 2:
Starting Set console scheme...
[OK] Started unattended Upgrades Shutdown.

option 3:
Starting Hostname Service...
[OK] Finished Remove Stale Online ext4 Metadata Check Snapshots.

Option 4:
Starting Set console scheme...
Starting Hostname Service...
[OK] Started Unattended Upgrades Shutdown.

- Windows 7:
The installation freezes very early, on the very first screen where you have to make a selection of the language, date/time, keyboard layout. (I tried to boot multiple times)

- Windows 11:
looked promising as I could continue the installation untill the point where it checked the hardware and told me it wasn't compatible, guess we can ignore this error as i know the computer isn't that new and the error is probably correct. But here the system didn't freeze and went further than just a selection of the regional settings.

- Windows 10:
I could install windows 10 without issues. I even could start into the newly installed windows. First I thought it does freeze randomly somewhere at one of the windows update, but after a 2nd test where i wanted to just benchmark the computer, it froze before i could download a benchmark (it might still be related to the updates as windows will attempt to run updates in the background).