Boot Loader on Mirrored Boot Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism

Cadet
I was setting up a mirrored boot device (per http://doc.freenas.org/11/system.html#mirroring-the-boot-device) after I had a single USB device die and fail to boot. The previous and new device was setup to boot in Legacy (Non-EFI) mode.

I added a second (to be mirrored) device, and set it to mirror in the GUI. I can see the stripes now being mirrored. Yay!

However, when I go into the BIOS to see if there is a second bootable device, I only see the original device. I would expect to see both devices and be able to boot from either of them.

My primary question is: Is the GRUB bootloader mirrored in this process as well?

I know based on the documentation that it is stated to be a second, backup "boot device", but if there is no boot-loader, it is essentially a configuration backup (valuable, but not 100% of the expectation). If in fact the boot-loader isn't installed on the second disk, is there a procedure to do so?

Otherwise, would a "dd if=/dev/<device with bootloader> of=/dev/<device with out bootloader> bs=440 count=1" be an easy fix?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge,
Chris

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was setting up a mirrored boot device (per http://doc.freenas.org/11/system.html#mirroring-the-boot-device) after I had a single USB device die and fail to boot. The previous and new device was setup to boot in Legacy (Non-EFI) mode.

I added a second (to be mirrored) device, and set it to mirror in the GUI. I can see the stripes now being mirrored. Yay!

However, when I go into the BIOS to see if there is a second bootable device, I only see the original device. I would expect to see both devices and be able to boot from either of them.

My primary question is: Is the GRUB bootloader mirrored in this process as well?

I know based on the documentation that it is stated to be a second, backup "boot device", but if there is no boot-loader, it is essentially a configuration backup (valuable, but not 100% of the expectation). If in fact the boot-loader isn't installed on the second disk, is there a procedure to do so?

Otherwise, would a "dd if=/dev/<device with bootloader> of=/dev/<device with out bootloader> bs=440 count=1" be an easy fix?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge,
Chris
There may be something that needs to be configured in your BIOS / UEFI firmware, but both devices should be equally bootable. I have tested that on my system (by removing one of the devices and rebooting) and it will boot from either device. You can test it for yourself with just a couple of reboots.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Way back in the day, this was somewhat broken and some scenarios only installed the bootloader on one device. That was fixed quite some time ago.

I just tried it myself. I had a single USB device and added a mirror via the UI. When i then reboot with just the new USB stick I get a Grub error (something like "no such device: ..."). Booting from the other USB device works just fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the exact error would be useful to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.