Mirrored Boot Pool Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

qwertymodo

Contributor
Initially USB sticks, because I'd never had a single failure before. Heck, we still have a FN8.x box at work running strong off its original $10 Wal-Mart thumb drive. Everything was fine until 9.2 when they started dropping like flies, which is when I upgraded to the DOMs. I don't have room in my case for any more full sized disks, 2.5" notwithstanding. ZFS was a lousy move. You get consistency checking, at the cost of being the primary cause of the failures in the first place, you get mirroring, which is essentially useless, you get snapshots, which are neat, but not really any different than just backing up your config. Seriously, all of these "amazing" new features they made such a big deal about have turned out to be complete duds when you realize they're eating your disks alive to do it.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
I can see you have a slightly negative opinion about FreeNAS right now, that's okay, we all have opinions and bad days.

If you plan to stay with FreeNAS, I'd recommend a single SATA SSD. You can use some good double sided tape if you have no place to mount it with screws, and I'd place it low in the cabinet if possible. This will really help out with the reliability of the boot device. If you need to use USB, stay away from USB 3.0 devices.

Also, you could roll back to 8.x if you wanted to. It still does a very good job of being a basic NAS and it even had DLNA built in and jails. Even better, you could compile it yourself and get a nice custom build if needed. I use to compile the crap out of it almost everyday.

qwertymodo

Contributor
Thanks, definitely frustrated, but not to the point of ditching or rolling back (I'd have to downgrade my data pool, no thanks). For now, I'm back online with the secondary DOM, I'll probably start looking into my mounting options and find myself a reliable SSD.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Where is your .system dataset located? If it's on your boot device(s), consider moving it to your data pool.

qwertymodo

Contributor
.system is on my data pool, which is a 6-disk RAIDZ2 pool, so I think I'm ok there.

Status
Not open for further replies.