Best way to utilize 2x512G nvme SSDs

lailakas

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I was previously using a mirrored pool of 2x512G SSDs for my app data, and a striped pool of mirrors of 2x10T, 2x18T,2x18T,2x22T HDDs for main storage. Recently, I've added 7.68Tx2 U.2 SSDs and moved app data storage there. Now the 2x512G SSDs are empty. What is the best way to use these SSDs? They are small and not so reliable, so I was planning to use them as L2ARCs but I read people saying it hits the RAM very hard and recommends against using drives over 256G for L2ARC. As for SLOG, I am a little worried about data loss. The 512G SSDs are on the same carrier card (pcie expansion). If the carrier card fails there there will be some data loss regardless to being mirrored or not. Here is my detailed setup:

System: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3
CPU: AMD 5750GE
RAM: 128G(32x4) 3200MHz ECC
Pools:
-Main storage: 2x10T, 2x18T,2x18T,2x22T stripped mirror HDDs, Total capacity 68T
-App storage: 2x7.68T U.2 SSDs (will add another mirror to expand total capacity further)
-Boot: 2x256G mirrored M.2 nvme SSD
Free Disks: 2x512G M.2 nvme SSD
NICs: 1G built in, 10G pcie expansion
Power supply: 2x500W platinum(One for MB+Half of the drives, the other one for the other half of the drives) with UPS
Use cases: Home media, BT, nextcloud, backups

Any suggestion is appreciated, thank you!

....What is the best way to use these SSDs? They are small and not so reliable,....I am a little worried about data loss.
Since no brand name was mentioned I'm going to assume bargain-bin generic eBay modules. IF that's the case and "they are small and not so reliable" perhaps give them away to a new gamer. If someone loses a few game frames or crashes once every six months that's probably acceptable, if your data gets zorched every six months that's probably not so good.

lailakas

Dabbler
Since no brand name was mentioned I'm going to assume bargain-bin generic eBay modules. IF that's the case and "they are small and not so reliable" perhaps give them away to a new gamer. If someone loses a few game frames or crashes once every six months that's probably acceptable, if your data gets zorched every six months that's probably not so good.
Thanks for the quick but thoughtful reply. One is Toshiba XG3, the other is Kioxia RC20. They are from reputable brands (or say virtually the same brand). I say they are unreliable is by comparing to all other datacenter drives used for my data pools, WUH/HUH72xxxx for HDDs and WD SN640/Kioxia CD6 for U.2 SSDs, and I actually lost the RC20 once. It came back to life after a reboot but the trust is gone.
Although you are assuming I am using generic eBay modules, I think it is actually a good option to give them away due to my trust issues.

I am still interested in speeding up my main pool with L2ARC though. Are 512G drives really gonna hurt my performace? What is a reasonable size if I am to purchase SSD for that?