Hardware recommendations f

medanesh

Cadet
I recently bought a server and plan to install TrueNAS Scale on it. My main application will be photo storage and management with PhotoPrism in Docker. Down the road, I might use the server for VMs as well.

Here are the specifications:

SuperMicro 6028U X10DRU-I+:

- CPU: 2 x E5-2690 V4
- Motherboard: X10DRU-i+
- 64 GB ECC RAM
- HDDs: I have 12 bays and I plan to use 16tb+ drives and keep adding them as my storage needs grow

My question is do you guys suggest getting SSDs for the boot device? I was thinking about getting one of these:
and then use two mirrored 512GB NVMe M.2 for the boot device?

Do you recommend buying a similar NVMe M.2 for a cache drive?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My question is do you guys suggest getting SSDs for the boot device?
Generally yes, though you can aim for the cheapest ones that are still reputable, since the actual demands are very limited.
two mirrored 512GB NVMe M.2 for the boot device?
Massive overkill, but the way prices are right now... If you can save a few bucks with 256 GB SSDs, do so.
- HDDs: I have 12 bays and I plan to use 16tb+ drives and keep adding them as my storage needs grow
I trust you've read up on ZFS and are aware of the basic limitations around a plan like that?
Do you recommend buying a similar NVMe M.2 for a cache drive?
Not until such a time where it is positively determined to be necessary. The vague description you've provided doesn't really suggest it would be, but nothing beats seeing what performance is like when you're using the thing.

medanesh

Cadet
Thanks a lot, Ericloewe. All very clear. I was not fully aware of the limitations of adding drives to pools but I am now.