Best way to run vanilla Docker?

Jip-Hop

Contributor
I currently have a working POC of Docker in LXC container on TrueNAS SCALE using only the tools/packages pre-installed. Not depending on systemd-container (which is a sub-dependency of a package installed on SCALE), but instead using virsh from the libvirt-daemon-system package (which is a direct dependency of SCALE and the API is responsible for the VM features in the GUI). The post is in the Openmediavault forum but it works on SCALE as well. I'm going to experiment with using crun or runc as well to create an isolated environment in which to run Docker on SCALE :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I like where you're going with all that.

Some iX support would be great to give folks the confidence to use it knowing that it won't be blocked or removed later.

Jip-Hop

Contributor
Well then here it is: ubernerd. POC of running nerdctl (which is mostly docker compatible and has some neat additional features) natively without modifying the host rootfs and without relying on the package manager. It may be able to replace docker, lxc, systemd-nspawn (jailmaker) in many cases. Tested on TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10-MASTER-20230816-040941.

NugentS

MVP
Just a couple of questions
1. What do you mean by "mostly docker compatible"? NVM - I think I found it
2. If I have a current jailmaker setup - is there any known issue running the two side by side (for a testing duration)?

Well done BTW

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Even a bonus question... can I just take a jailmaker jail directory and use that with ubernerd?

Jip-Hop

Contributor
Even a bonus question... can I just take a jailmaker jail directory and use that with ubernerd?
Probably! Just make sure the jailmaker jail is shutdown (don't run multiple containers/jails off of the same rootfs simultaneously). And I'd advise to make a backup/copy/snapshot before you run the same rootfs with nerdctl. You may have to experiment a bit depending on your networking config.

Jip-Hop

Contributor
Just a couple of questions
1. What do you mean by "mostly docker compatible"? NVM - I think I found it
2. If I have a current jailmaker setup - is there any known issue running the two side by side (for a testing duration)?

Well done BTW
You should be able to run them side by side.

sretalla