Best way to run vanilla Docker?

NugentS

MVP
I concur

Jip-Hop

Contributor
We're reviewing, but the issue seems to be incompatibility with Kubernetes. To make Kubernetes robust, there have to be restrictions. One or more of those restrictions is impacting systemd containers.

In the meantime, we'd recommend running a VM.
I'm trying to find the commit which removed the systemd container package, in order to understand why this was done. So far no luck looking through commits in the 22.12.3 branch. Any update from your side?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm trying to find the commit which removed the systemd container package, in order to understand why this was done. So far no luck looking through commits in the 22.12.3 branch. Any update from your side?

I don't think we know....it wasn't deliberate or part of our test process. Probably a side-effect of improving stability of Kubernetes.

Spusuf

Cadet
I don't think we know....it wasn't deliberate or part of our test process. Probably a side-effect of improving stability of Kubernetes.
Since its a default package does that mean it is present in 23.10? Or has it been a deliberate removal for optimization sake? Because I genuinely believe this systemd jail method is going to be the most popular going forward. So it would be nice to see whether the community should account for working around (using apt, which isnt ideal) or just wait for the next release.

NugentS

MVP
@morganL

Can we have it back please?

Jip-Hop

Contributor
Probably a side-effect of improving stability of Kubernetes.
I'd be surprised if the mere fact of systemd-container package being installed (and not being used) would interfere with the stability of kubernetes. Would be great to have it back for the people who use jailmaker, but I fear we're going to have to use apt-install from now on...

sfatula

Guru
I just build my docker containers on a Raspberry Pi and use the big blue button in Scale to load the image and run it. Didn't see a need for any changes on Scale.

Jip-Hop

Contributor
@morganL

Can we have it back please?
Turns out, systemd-nspawn is already back in the latest nightly TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10-MASTER-20230813-042924...

So that's good news! Just not great that it can be gone from time to time. I suppose it would be better if the systemd-container package would be on this list: https://github.com/truenas/middleware/blob/master/debian/debian/control. Then we know it will be included, until removed from that file.

Edit: I think adding systemd-container to this list would be more appropriate: https://github.com/truenas/scale-build/blob/release/23.10-BETA.1/conf/build.manifest#L227

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
@morganL I've made a pull request to explicitly add systemd-container to the list of installed packages.

What would be a useful addition is examples of people who used this and normal Apps together without issues.

The primary challenge for our SW team is making all standard functions reliable. If someone reports an App issue, they are unlikely to report that they also use a systemd container, even if it may be the root cause.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What would be a useful addition is examples of people who used this and normal Apps together without issues.
I run Mailcow, which doesn't have any other supported option than docker compose.

I don't like how it works in the TrueCharts compose app, so prefer to run it in a systemd container.

I note that with the systemd container running, I get a completely separate network:
Code:
root@scale2[/mnt/nvme/jailmaker]# netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
default         pfSense         0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 br01
172.16.0.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 kube-bridge
172.18.0.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 docker0

I have not seen issues with either side of it (although I'm aware I need to not open host ports that are consumed already by either system, so am being careful about that).

NugentS

MVP
If its any help - I am using both. No issues. K3S works as it is designed to do and the Scale Jail works just great too.

I consider this a complimentary solution to K3S AND a replacement for running docker in a VM

NugentS

MVP
And I would add that the routing out of the Scale Jail works properly - where routing out of K3S is still buggered although if the container allows and gives the option for "Host Networking" then that acts as a workaround

sretalla