backup FreeNAS data

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnone

Cadet
I need help in backing up the data that is on currently on my FreeNAS.
I have seen some outdated videos on using rsync but I need clarity on how to set it up.
Currently I am using FreeNAS V 9.10 and would like to push the data from FreeNAS to my synology nas via rsync.
Synology uses ssh for rsync or should I just use another protocol?

Last edited by a moderator:

ccssid

Explorer
I know this is not the recommended method. but, assuming both machines are on the same network with a windows machine, I use Allway Sync which is set up on the windows computer. Works like a champ.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The manual would be a good place to start.

Edit: There really are lots of ways to skin this particular cat. A client-based solution, as suggested by @ccssid, is probably the easiest--just mount the respective shares from the two NASs, and it's nice and Windows-y from there (if you're unfortunate enough to be using Windows). But it's going to be slower, and it requires the client machine to be running for the backups to happen. The best method is probably ZFS replication to a suitable target (i.e., a second FreeNAS box, or something else using ZFS). But rsync is a valid option as well, and more broadly compatible.

Last edited:

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
rsync will probably be the fastest and most compatible, the only issue is whether or not to issue the --delete parameter to it. If you lose data, you don't want to lose it on the backup as well, but if you don't use --delete you'll run out of space very quickly. But yeah, the best way is to use a second FreeNAS box and replication but you don't currently have one. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.