Backup another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprudel

Cadet
I'm new to FreeNAS because i want to backup my main computer.
So is there a way, that i can make my FreeNAS-computer and main computer startup at the same time and that FreeNAS will make a backup of a folder of my main computer?

Any existing tutorial or anybody how did this allready ?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
FreeNAS isn't designed to be shut down and turned on frequently, especially so if you plan on using a usb boot device.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you want the FreeNAS computer to be powered off and only powered on during the backup process, well that will be up to your ingenuity but typically you can set a timer in the BIOS to power on a computer at a specific time. As for having your main computer backup to FreeNAS, there are many methods, just do a google search on the topic. R-Sync is used a lot here. I personally use Acronis True Image 2015. I also leave my FreeNAS and main computers on 100% of the time.

If you are only looking for a way to backup the data on your main computer, you may consider a cheap NAS solution that runs on minimal power and sleeps until you need it and contains two hard drives that can be mirrored for reliability. You can do that with FreeNAS too but there is a little more to learn about FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.