CrashPlan ver 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nello

Patron
I'm looking for a way to upgrade CrashPlan (in a FreeNAS Jail) to version 4.7

According to Code42:

Beginning on May 16, 2016, all computers that connect to the Code42 cloud, and that use a supported operating system, will upgrade to CrashPlan app version 4.7. If you use another computer you own or a friend's computer as a backup destination, both computers must upgrade to CrashPlan app version 4.7 in order for computer-to-computer backups to continue.
(Emphasis mine.)
Source: https://support.code42.com/CrashPla...ing_Between_Version_4.7_And_Earlier_Versions?

So, I take it that I need to update the version of CrashPlan in my FreeNAS Jail to version 4.7 or it will no longer backup my desktop/laptop computers.

What are others doing to prepare for version 4.7?

Andrew076

Patron
Updating the Crashplan has been manually written about here and seems to work very well.

Assuming crashplan currently works for you, then the main steps are:
Code:
$ cd /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan
$ wget --no-check-certificate http://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.5.2_Linux.tgz
$ tar -xf CrashPlan_4.5.2_Linux.tgz
$ cd crashplan-install
$ cpio -idv < CrashPlan_4.5.0.cpi
$ service crashplan stop
$  cd ..
$ rm -r lib*
$ cp -r crashplan-install/lib* .
$ service crashplan start

Change line 2 to the actual file name (probably would be something like CrashPlan_4.7.0_Linux.tgz but that can be easily figured out by going to the website).

Change line 3 to match the file name

Change line 5 to match the version number i.e. "CrashPlan_4.7.0.cpi"

You would then have to do all your fixes to
/var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info
/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf
(or be sure they are correct)

Then it should work... at least it has up to version 4.6 for me.

Also, I had an issue at one point in the transition from 9.3 to 9.10, and had to delete and reinstall my plugin and jail. It was suggested at that time that I use the newer version of the jail, which I did.

The thread wherein I was dealing with the new jail is here if you need context, but the main info is below (be sure you click to expand there are two templates listed).

nello

Patron
... at least it has up to version 4.6 for me.

You mention version 4.6 but the directions refer to version 4.5.2 (CrashPlan_4.5.2_Linux.tgz).

Are you actually running 4.6 on your FreeNAS server? Did it automatically update from 4.5.x or did you have to manually install it?

Andrew076

Patron
You mention version 4.6 but the directions refer to version 4.5.2 (CrashPlan_4.5.2_Linux.tgz).

Are you actually running 4.6 on your FreeNAS server? Did it automatically update from 4.5.x or did you have to manually install it?

So, I left the text the way it was developed by Martin Aspeli since he was the original author.

I do have crashplan running on 4.6 and it did not automatically update from 4.5.x. What I was saying was this is how I have been upgrading crashplan now for a long time. At somepoint I had an issue and had to reinstall the plugin, 3.x is what gets installed with the plugin and I had to manually install from that point on. It has consistently worked for me. Below are the steps I took, I put in bold the changes I made to the original post by Martin Aspeli so hopefully that will make more sense.

$ cd /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan
$ wget --no-check-certificate http://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.6.0_Linux.tgz
$ tar -xf CrashPlan_4.6.0_Linux.tgz
$ cd crashplan-install
$ cpio -idv < CrashPlan_4.6.0.cpi
$ service crashplan stop
$ cd ..
$ rm -r lib*
$ cp -r crashplan-install/lib* .
$ service crashplan start

Once this is done you will have installed 4.6.0 - you now just need to get it to work - which is the subject of many other threads...

nello

Patron
My Macintosh CrashPlan client updated to 4.7 and it is still working with CrashPlan 4.5 on FreeNAS.

Update 2016.05.20
Stopped working the next day, May 17.

Last edited:

nello

Patron
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.