Deleting Old Time Maching Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasEx

Dabbler
My wife's iMac crashed and we received a new computer from Apple. I have already restored the computer from the backup but I was unable to use the initial backup for the new machine.

Now, I have two backups for the same computer and I am having trouble deleting the file from the original (dead) iMac. Are there any settings I am missing in my afp share to enable the deletion of files? The backup is eating 335GB currently.

Knowltey

Patron
You should be able to do it through the FreeNAS shell. Just navigate to wherever they are stored through there and rm the files you want to get rid of.

TexasEx

Dabbler
You should be able to do it through the FreeNAS shell. Just navigate to wherever they are stored through there and rm the files you want to get rid of.

I haven't done anything currently through the shell I have been mainly using the web interface. Any dumbed down instructions?

Knowltey

Patron
Eee, not really good at dumbing down instructions. Anywho. the cd command changes the directory, ls lists you the contents of directory and rm will remove stuff.

So basically ls to see where you're at then cd <directory> to go into a directory. First command you'll do would be "cd /mnt/" for example, after that one you'll cd to your pool whatever you named it and then go from there.

fracai

Guru
Now, I have two backups for the same computer and I am having trouble deleting the file from the original (dead) iMac. Are there any settings I am missing in my afp share to enable the deletion of files? The backup is eating 335GB currently.
What's the error that you see when trying to delete the old backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.