Backblaze backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
I’m sure his has been covered 17 times by now, but I did do some googling and searching and didn’t quite find what I wanted. Granted I’m on a phone, so that’s a little limiting. But seeing as I’ll be setting up my freenas box soon, just in time for my crashplan home plan to go away (thanks guys... 3 TB worth of data I have to re-upload across a few different PC’s) I will want to try and get my backblaze account working with my soon to be freenas setup.

I currently have a few of the normal PC backup accounts, or I guess I should say multiple PC’s registered under the single normal home account.

Does freenas support this, or would I have to use B2? I’m really not trying to backup the world with this which I figure is why backblaze doesn’t allow network storage to be backed up, but because of this limitation I am unsure of what freenas does support.

Is there a built in plugin for this, would I want to run some headless Linux VM under freenas and do it somehow this way? Should I look at another strategy all together? I don’t want to throw a task that will greatly increase my systems overhead, but I will have an i3 6100 and 20 GB of ram for a relatively simple single person NAS, it should have plenty of headroom to spare.

The only data I will want to backup is ~2-3TB worth.

Any advice would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

millst

Contributor
I was on Crashplan, but started the process of switching over to B2 shortly after the announcement to end support for home users. I created a jail, mounted the data I wanted to backup, set up a B2 bucket, and configured Duplicacy to run weekly. It's pretty similar to how I was running Crashplan.

I ended up with Duplicacy because it supports encryption, snapshots, performs well, and requires minimal local cache. I couldn't find anything else [free] that checked those boxes for B2.

-tm

styno

Patron

LIGISTX

Guru
I was on Crashplan, but started the process of switching over to B2 shortly after the announcement to end support for home users. I created a jail, mounted the data I wanted to backup, set up a B2 bucket, and configured Duplicacy to run weekly. It's pretty similar to how I was running Crashplan.

I ended up with Duplicacy because it supports encryption, snapshots, performs well, and requires minimal local cache. I couldn't find anything else [free] that checked those boxes for B2.

-tm

I will have to look into this. I already purchased the normal backblaze account but I may have to rethink my strategy. I have plenty of PC’s, so it’s not like that 5 bucks a month will be wasted lol.

Native backup to B2 (an other cloud providers) will be available in FreeNAS 11.1 https://bugs.freenas.org/versions/415
11.1-RC1 is already available if you want to test it today.

O nice. Glad to hear that’s becoming native. This should make it pretty seamless.

styno

Patron

fracai

Guru
Have you checked the documentation? http://doc.freenas.org/11/tasks.html#cloud-sync
This line makes me assume that the support is included:
Code:
Server Side Encryption drop-down menu only appears when an S3 credential is the Provider; choices are None (no encryption) or AES-256 (encrypted)
That actually makes me think it's only supported for backing up to S3. Backblaze backup would presumaby not be encrypted.

I'm also evaluating Duplicacy and if not for my lazyness, I'd already be all in.

millst

Contributor
Yeah, I read the docs the same way. Encryption on S3, but not the other providers. That's because Amazon supports it server side. That's not much of a benefit to me since Amazon controls all the keys. Plus, S3 pricing is quite a bit higher than B2.

At least Crashplan gives the option of choosing your own key. Of course, their apps could be stealing it and passing it back to their servers. However, there is a chance that your data is private.

-tm

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the cloud sync uses rclone (which it appears to), there's no reason that it shouldn't handle client-side encryption--rclone supports that with any backend.

millst

Contributor
If the developers provide that enhancement. Somebody would need to submit a ticket.

-tm

LIGISTX

Guru
Hmm. Encryption is definitely a big factor. I like my data to belong to me.

styno

Patron
Backblaze backup would presumaby not be encrypted.
Exactly. B2 does not provide server-side encryption.

That's not much of a benefit to me since Amazon controls all the keys. Plus, S3 pricing is quite a bit higher than B2.
You should be able to use/bring your own keys via AWS Key Management Service (KMS), ofcourse at a certain price ;-)

If the developers provide that enhancement. Somebody would need to submit a ticket.
Agreed, but with the following caveat: without encryption and the way it is setup today (at least to B2 as I ran this on my test box), you are able to download single files via the Backblaze website from any computer from any location (provided you are logged in correctly, two factor authentication is available). You are also able to order a disk shipped to you in case disaster strikes and your infrastructure is gone or the download would take ages. If you encrypt this data you'd need additional steps during the restore procedure.

As far as $$ goes: my 309.7 GB test to B2 will be $1.14 /month

Last edited:

millst

Contributor
Sure, security/privacy often requires some loss of convenience. Worth it to me. Others can choose to use server-side or none.

I have a little less data than that so I'm actually saving quite a bit of money versus Crashplan. Not bothering with my media files, just the critical data.

-tm

Brezlord

Contributor

icsy7867

Contributor
Kind of a side thought, but isnt BackBlaze B2 sort of expensive?

With 3TB (3072 GB):
BackBlaze B2 Rate = 0.005 /GB/Month
= 3072 GB * 0.005 = $15.36 / Month = $184 / Year ($122 for 2TB)

Or

Crashplan Small Business = $10 / Month (Unlimited Data) = $120.00 / Year

OR

idrive.com (Works with SMB shares, and can run from a windows VM)
2TB for $52/Year - But I am a little hazy on what happens after the second year to the pricing.

If you need < 2TB, BackBlack B2 might be more cost friendly. I am still using CrashPlan for the time being. Havent found a replacement yet. So I was just curious as to everyone thoughts.

fracai

Guru
That math breaks down with multiple clients as well. I had 6 devices in Crashplan Home. With CSB that would be $240/year. I could try to get everything backing up to my NAS and then backup just that, but that would be a much more complex configuration; especially as I'd have to use multiple backup tools to get the data to the NAS in the first place.

Instead I'll use one tool to independently send each client to B2 and pay for my usage directly.

icsy7867

Contributor
Have you heard of Wasabi? After posting in this thread I did some more googling. Wasabi is only $0.0039/GB vs B2's $0.005.

They say they are fully compatible with anything that supports S3. I added a small guide in the Jails section. AWS S3 CLI works fine, but having trouble with s3cmd on freenas (but works on ubuntu). But for the price it might be worth checking out. B2 will have more reviews and experience, WASABI is pretty new so I really cant speak to their reliability, but they claim 11 9s.

styno

Patron
Well, it's integrated in Rclone, so 'native' integration should be possible. I'll wait a bit longer as it seems they are only running in 1 (or two) non-duplicated datacenters.
I guess with AWS's S3, you pay more for the options you get.

fracai

Guru
Wasabi has a complicated billing structure. It looks like the minimum storage is 1TB and that they only bill in increments of 1TB. (I'm not sure on the increments, their calculator isn't too sophisticated. It's possible they charge per GB with a minimum of 1024)

Also, they bill data at a minimum of 90 days. Granted with backups you're probably keeping data longer than that, but it's an additional factor. Storing and pruning incremental backups, for example, would easily generate a lot of data that is only stored for a short amount of time.

The download charge is .04/GB. Double that of B2, but you're probably not downloading that much to begin with. When you have data loss and need to restore though, it'll hurt.

They don't charge for API calls, but the 90 day minimum scares me for calculating costs.

B2 is still the easiest to understand from my perspective, but every provider has a different rate structure that is going to appeal to different cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.