App Permissions across SMB mounted network share

marshalleq

Explorer
Hi all, I am currently setting up a container that needs to have some pretty specific permissions (user 99 and group 100), but something isn't working right. It may not be permissions (well I should really call it ownership), but I'm hoping someone else can help advise if there's anything specific to TrueNAS I might be missing.

The scenario is that I have an external linux box with a shared SMB folder. I've mounted this onto TrueNAS Scale (there doesn't seem to be a GUI) using command line for now as per below:

mount -t cifs -o username=user,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,uid=99,gid=100 //192.168.43.x/processing /mnt/processing

I've also created a custom docker app and have set the user and group in that also.

This works and I can browse and mount the share, I can write to it and files turn up on both sides with correct user and group if created on the other side.

I've even opened a shell within the container and the files are still writable across to the share. However, when running the application (Tdarr) I get the error:
The following transcode cache path cannot be accessed on Tdarr_Node OBIWAN_N1: /mnt/transcode_cache/ To resolve this, make sure the Server and Node can access the same library and transcode cache paths.

This is because Tdarr requires the master node and slave node to access the same mounted directory for the cache file to be distributed amongst it's nodes.

Of course this may just be an error in the container config as simple as a missing trailing slash or something - however the GUI is broken for editing custom docker apps and that makes it hard to check. Being new to Truenas Scale, I haven't figured out how to do that through the console yet (if anyone has any tips on where to look in the docs I would appreciate them)

My question is, are there any tricks or limitations to the way TrueNAS Scale connects to custom mounted storage? If not then I'll keep progressing to see if I can check my config, but I did check it pretty thoroughly beforehand as I knew it was a one shot deal.

PS probably I should request this app be added to TrueCharts - haven't figured out how to do that yet either - I'm such a TrueNAS baby!

PPS I guess I should also mention this is TrueNAS Scale 21.04 Alpha 1.

Many thanks,

Marshalleq.

Last edited:

marshalleq

Explorer
Very nice - anything I can help with?

Also for anyone else reading along, this doesn't really solve my problem, given it's more likely to do with the network mounts (my config of or some system quirk) than the container which I successfully use on other systems (including this one before I put TrueNAS on it).

marshalleq

Explorer
So just updating that I finally got Tdarr going. Now that the nightlies have a fix that allows us to edit existing containers, I was able to find more easily that my internal cache path was mapped incorrectly. All working now.

Selassie

Dabbler
So just updating that I finally got Tdarr going. Now that the nightlies have a fix that allows us to edit existing containers, I was able to find more easily that my internal cache path was mapped incorrectly. All working now.
Great that you got this to work. maybe you can assist. I have NZBGet and Sonarr both running on TruNas Scale and internal mount points work perfectly. However, my storage is on a different TrueNase Core box and I would like the apps to access it as a mount point on Truenas Scale and write to it. I can manually mount and external share but not via the FStab file as I can easily do in Linux. Any ideas on how I can get this to work and have a persistent mount point in Truenas Scale.

marshalleq

Explorer
Hi, I'm not using Truenas anymore really, it's still a bit too painful - basic things like this being missing is part of it, performance being another and also the annoying GUI that takes way longer to do basic things than it should. Anyhow, I do recall that someone else answered this question for me, the answer was to do it like you would with linux in a console. What I don't recall is exactly how that's done in trueNAS. You say fstab doesn't work which would have been my first guess. I'll see if I can find the answer and link it in for you.

marshalleq

Explorer
Hi, this was the link.

Selassie

Dabbler
Hi, I'm not using Truenas anymore really, it's still a bit too painful - basic things like this being missing is part of it, performance being another and also the annoying GUI that takes way longer to do basic things than it should. Anyhow, I do recall that someone else answered this question for me, the answer was to do it like you would with linux in a console. What I don't recall is exactly how that's done in trueNAS. You say fstab doesn't work which would have been my first guess. I'll see if I can find the answer and link it in for you.
Thanks for replying and the link, I will check it out and see how far I get, if I'm successful I think I would go with Ubuntu as it's quite straightforward to do it what that OS.

Selassie

Dabbler
Hi, this was the link.
I have a very similar situation to what you described, I've been pulling my hair out to try and get it to work as I have it working perfectly under windows. TrueNas core on one box as a storage host. Truenas Scale on another box running NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr & Plex. I want to automount the two shares from the Truenas Core Host (TV & Movies) to Truenas Scale so that the programs can see it to read and write to. That's all, not rocket science but it seems so complicated to get two Truenas boxes to talk to each other.

marshalleq

Explorer
Yeah, TrueNAS is really not very easy unfortunately. It has a lot of potential and I really hope they look at all our hard won feedback in upcoming versions. Until then, Unraid with the ZFS plugin is still hands down the best solution.

Selassie

Dabbler
Yeah, TrueNAS is really not very easy unfortunately. It has a lot of potential and I really hope they look at all our hard won feedback in upcoming versions. Until then, Unraid with the ZFS plugin is still hands down the best solution.
Yes, I am hearing you on that one and may go that route myself. how easy is it to map a Truenas network share to it? also what about setting up ZFS as I was put off by the existing file system as it was quite slow and took ages to initialize disks.

marshalleq

Explorer
Unraid is super easy to mount shares to it or from it with the unassigned devices plugin. There are some things I don't like, but they're things I can live with because the outcome works. ZFS on Unraid works like native ZFS. You do have to do it in the console though - but that's not actually too hard. Presently you have to set up the unraid array on a USB stick so that docker will start, but it's just a dummy array and everything can live on the ZFS storage. Also, ZFS is coming officially to unraid in the next version - so that's going to be awesome. Probably 6 months away though. The beauty of unraid is really it's extensive and mature plugins and community apps, along with easy to follow guides that seem to have an answer for every scenario. The tradeoff though is they don't get quite the enterprise quality that TrueNAS does and I miss some of those core features - such as a GUI to make it easy to schedule backups. But wouldn't you know it there are plugins for that....

Selassie

Dabbler
Unraid is super easy to mount shares to it or from it with the unassigned devices plugin. There are some things I don't like, but they're things I can live with because the outcome works. ZFS on Unraid works like native ZFS. You do have to do it in the console though - but that's not actually too hard. Presently you have to set up the unraid array on a USB stick so that docker will start, but it's just a dummy array and everything can live on the ZFS storage. Also, ZFS is coming officially to unraid in the next version - so that's going to be awesome. Probably 6 months away though. The beauty of unraid is really it's extensive and mature plugins and community apps, along with easy to follow guides that seem to have an answer for every scenario. The tradeoff though is they don't get quite the enterprise quality that TrueNAS does and I miss some of those core features - such as a GUI to make it easy to schedule backups. But wouldn't you know it there are plugins for that....
Yes I think I am going to give this a try, I've been weeks on this Truewnas thing trying to get it sorted, enough is enough I will come back to Truenas scale after it's officially released and maybe they will provide access to mount external volumes in the GUI. I will stick to tTruenas core for the overall storage but run apps from Unraid.