Anyone try -U5 yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Just checked and it's available. I'm waiting for the early adopters to report their findings............

hervon

Patron
Just took the plunge. No issue so far. Plugins work fine (old GUI) : transmission, urbackup, minidlda. I'll report back later if something comes up.

Went from 11.1-U4 to U5. No issues. Took about 10 minutes.

Just took the plunge. No issue so far. Plugins work fine (old GUI) : transmission, urbackup, minidlda. I'll report back later if something comes up.

Did you find how to get into the new UI? There is no link to try the beta UI that I can find...

Did you find how to get into the new UI? There is no link to try the beta UI that I can find...

Just type in "/ui" after your URL and it comes up. But I get the missing graphics and scrambled interface at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-05-30 21-49-17.png
    Screenshot from 2018-05-30 21-49-17.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 318

BigMike

Dabbler
Just checked and it's available. I'm waiting for the early adopters to report their findings............

Upgrade from U4 went smooth. After reboot I got a yellow flashing warning from the alert system in the upper right corner, with the warning "smartd_daemon is not running". A little googling showed that happend to other people over the years, and it was solved for me by going through the GUI to storage / view disks / and then disabling SMART on my USB boot drives.

Zwck

Patron
i also updated, worked.

new UI link is not there and i still have this bug

Error 201:[ENOMETHOD] Method "summary" not found in "network.general"

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 899, in _method_lookup
	serviceobj = self.get_service(service)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 823, in get_service
	return self.__services[name]
KeyError: 'network.general'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 150, in call_method
	result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/coroutines.py", line 109, in __next__
	return self.gen.send(None)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 908, in call_method
	serviceobj, methodobj = self._method_lookup(message['method'])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 902, in _method_lookup
	raise CallError(f'Method "{method_name}" not found in "{service}"', CallError.ENOMETHOD)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [ENOMETHOD] Method "summary" not found in "network.general"

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
New UI isn't supposed to be ready until 11.2 which is still a couple months out.

Jacopx

Patron
No problem, 10 minutes boot. ;)

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Uptime approx 12 hours with no apparent problems so far (backup of three Windows clients to SMB share using Veeam Agent for Windows, snapshots, replication to local pool). This is a pure file server setup without Jails, Plugins and VMs.

Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Link to new GUI has been removed because of the all the problems they were having it with (I believe I saw a bug ticket opened on this). They still plan to bring it back in 11.2 when it is more feature complete, polished, and feedback is incorporated.

I haven't updated to 11.1 U5 yet, I'm going to wait a couple of more days. I don't have time to fix a system that breaks because of it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I haven't updated to 11.1 U5 yet, I'm going to wait a couple of more days. I don't have time to fix a system that breaks because of it.
I am of the same mind right now however when I first got into FreeNAS, I was always updating to the latest build, or custom builds I created.

Yup, I noticed that right away in the Change Log item 33618 (listed below):

Changelog:
24965 Add more command output to freenas-debug
26484 Don't write unneeded SNMP messages to /var/log/messages
27936 More fixes to ensure /nonexistent directory is not created
28585 Fix Samba memory leak in vfswrap_getwd()
29971 Improve logging in AD monitoring
30213 Turn bootenv.delete into a job to prevent timeout related traceback when deleting boot enviroments
30609 Do not log nginx errors to console
30729 Speed up and clean up freenas-debug
30768 Fix argument for SMB_VFS_NEXT_DISK_FREE in zfs_space VFS module
30960 Display Samba version and git commit with smbd -v
30990 Make lagg work with 100Gbps and 25Gbps interfaces that report extended media types
31041 Add support for Self-Encrypting Drives
31050 Do not spawn another thread on call_sync middleware call
31059 Fix user.delete API call when DC is enabled
31404 When using ADS disable DOSATTRIB to prevent Windows 7 "Invalid MS-DOS function" error
31635 Correct PAM constants for AFP users authenticating as local user in LDAP environment
31773 Migrate MTU settings when upgrading from 9.10.X to 11.1.X
32868 Fix "Check Now" traceback error
32880 Fix alert services traceback
32943 Add -M to freenas-debug to check SATA DOM speed
33045 Check if TrueNAS system needs an HBA firmware update
33228 Add configured SMART, replication, and scrub tasks to freenas-debug
33618 Do not show beta UI link
33663 Alphabetize freenas-debug switches
33786 Be less restrictive for NFS exports
33855 Remove dtrace freenas-debug modules
33885 Start dbus before netatalk
33924 Add check to see if NIS is enabled
33927 Fix typo in NFS section of freenas-debug
33930 Fix traceback in system section of freenas-debug
33957 Fix Python global interpreter lock with LDAP
33987 Fix system.advanced traceback during system boot
33993 Remove parallel routines for freenas-debug to prevent CPU spike

SavageAUS

Patron
I have updated, update went fine but smartd isn't running on startup.
Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 9.38.08 pm.png

Last edited:

spotcatbug

Dabbler
From the release notes:
Due to the proximity of the upcoming 11.2-BETA1 release, the “Try the BETA UI!” link has been removed from the login screen for 11.1-U5. Users who wish to test the new UI before BETA1 is released are encouraged to create a clone of their current boot environment, switch to the nightlies train, and update to the nightlies. This ensures that there is a stable boot environment to reboot into and upgrade from, once BETA1 is released.

Support for creating warden jails via the GUI was removed back in the 11.1 release - iocage was declared the way to go, moving forward. Fine. I like progress.

However, in order to create/manage iocage jails, you needed to use the beta, fairly-broken-but-working-ok-enough-for-iocage-jail-management GUI (basically, ignore all the error messages). Fine. Seems a little premature, but, yeah, it worked (mostly). I'm sure a lot of iocage jails got created. I've got two iocage jails now, only because I was forced to move on from warden. Not complaining, just saying that's how I ended up with iocage jails. I would have stuck with what I knew (warden) had I not been prodded to iocage. So that was a good idea.

But... hmmm... now we're told, in order to get to the beta UI (only way to manage our new iocage jails), we need to "create a clone of [our] current boot environment, switch to the nightlies train, and update to the nightlies." Really? You shouldn't add a required feature (only way to do iocage jail management) that's only a hyperlink away (“Try the BETA UI!”) and then, in a later release, essentially remove that feature. OK, you can get there, but... nah.

This is going to make me stick at 11.1-U4 until iocage jail management becomes easy to access again. 11.2?

Fraoch

Patron
I'm not getting "update available" e-mails anymore and I thought it had been a while so I checked this morning, assuming that this update had been out for some time.

Thought I was in trouble when the installation stalled at 60% with a warning about:

Code:
May 31 05:12:07 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1609] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
May 31 05:12:07 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1130] Cache directory /var/db/system/update does not have a sequence file
May 31 06:12:24 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1609] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
May 31 06:12:24 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1130] Cache directory /var/db/system/update does not have a sequence file
May 31 07:12:46 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1609] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
May 31 07:12:46 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1130] Cache directory /var/db/system/update does not have a sequence file
May 31 08:13:01 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1609] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
May 31 08:13:01 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1130] Cache directory /var/db/system/update does not have a sequence file
May 31 09:13:11 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1609] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
May 31 09:13:11 Minas-Tirith /alert.py: [freenasOS.Update:1130] Cache directory /var/db/system/update does not have a sequence file
May 31 09:41:34 Minas-Tirith /updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:1609] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'

but it rebooted and is back up and running fine.

D

dlavigne

But... hmmm... now we're told, in order to get to the beta UI (only way to manage our new iocage jails), we need to "create a clone of [our] current boot environment, switch to the nightlies train, and update to the nightlies." Really? You shouldn't add a required feature (only way to do iocage jail management) that's only a hyperlink away (“Try the BETA UI!”) and then, in a later release, essentially remove that feature. OK, you can get there, but... nah.

This was added as a recommendation as it ensures you have the latest UI plus a path to upgrade.

As mentioned in this thread, you can still use /ui but there have not been any updates to the new UI on the 11.1 branch (as all of the new UI work is happening on the 11.2 branch). We were expecting to not have any more updates to the 11.1 branch (certainly not before the new BETA launch) but needed to create an update to address some bugs. It didn't make sense to let people continue to login to a very outdated BETA link when cloning a boot env and using the up-to-date BETA is an option.

Our test FreeNAS VM upgraded from u4 to u5 without issue. We only use FreeNAS for file services with NFS and SMB so I can't speak to jails and whatnot. Our test system accepts replicated snapshots to give it some activity.

We may schedule our production replication target for an upgrade this weekend.

(Our primary system is still 9.10.2-U3 because no one wants to do the paperwork to upgrade and we're planning a hardware refresh in 2019 that will replace that server anyway. Might as well wait until then and do them both at the same time.)

Cheers,
Matt

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.