Anyone else having problems with Supermicro IPMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallybanger

Contributor
So my IPMI was working great. I have no idea what happened but now the IPMIview iKVM console just shows a blank, black screen. All of the web browsers now tell me I need to update my ****ing java which doesn't work but I'm not surprised since I think FF and Chrome are discontinuing support of java (and it's about ****ing time).

All of these thing were working perfectly a few months ago. Only change I've made (aside from updating my browsers once a week) is updating FreeNAS to the most current version of 9.10 from whatever the last version of 9.10 was.

Anyway, any one else dealing with this irritating problem?

startingtohatesupermicro.jpg

Dice

Wizard
All of the web browsers now tell me I need to update my ****ing java which doesn't work but I'm not surprised since I think FF and Chrome are discontinuing support of java (and it's about ****ing time).
That Screen is run by Java, which you probably see.
I don't think this is related to FreeNAS at all, since FreeNAS has nothing to do with IPMI through Supermicro.
Looks to be a bad coincidence.
Fix your java, re-install, re-update ..and you'll be back on track.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

darkwarrior

Patron
Yep, definitely looks like a Java RE issue ...
You tried from another machine ?
You might need to reinstall a older version of Java ...

Like you're saying Java is the worst RE ever ...
Maybe at some Point Supermicro will move away from it (hopefully...)

Wallybanger

Contributor
Yeah, ok, I'll try moving back to an older Java RE. I hate java soooo much.

Word on the street is that Supermicro is supposed to be moving away from Java any day now but I haven't seen it yet.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Ugh, I just did another search and found this and it worked:

Code:
With the new Java 8 rolled out, it has been discovered that it can block access to SuperMicro IPMI interfaces, if it doesn’t meet the minimum security requirements.

Below are the steps that can be taken to fix this. This solution should work for Windows 7 64bit, Windows 7 32bit, Windows 8 64bit, and Windows 8 32bit. This fix may need to be implemented before each remote control session via a SuperMicro IPMI.

• Go to the Start Menu
  • Choose Java
  • Click Configure Java
  • You should be on the General tab
  • Click Settings…
  • Click Delete Files…
Make sure both “Trace and Log Files” and “Cached Applications and Applets” are check marked and “Installed Applications and Applets” is unchecked.
  • Press OK
  • Click Security
  • On this page, make sure that the Java security level is set to the High setting.
  • Click Edit Site List, then add the IP address of the IPMI to the Exception Site List….
  • Click Apply
  • Press OK again on the General tab to exit
  • Open the Remote Control session, and you should then be able to use the IPMI.

It was a post from January 2015 and my IPMI was working fine before so I have no idea why it was working before and then I had to make changes. Anyway, it's working now. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.