Help with new build: i3-9100f on M10JNP2SB

stampella

Cadet
Hey all,
totally new here, but had my share of experience with PC which, very seldomly, involved them catching fire.
I just got a nice contract and thought of no better gift for my better half than a modest home-server (which of course will be the start of the end).

The plan is to get the following:
low-power consumption and low-noise...or my better half will become the bitter half;
recent-enough hardware, I drew the line at DDR4 RAM and Skylake/Kaby Lake minimum, but the newer and the most efficient, the better;
working IPMI, with iKVM, sensoring and management that work. Not half-baked and buggy, which I have heard happened often with AsRock and other "consumer" manufacturers;
ECC memory, ideally 2x16GB;
at least 8x SATA/SAS ports (yeah, I know, HBAs do exist, but I want to start with a minimal build), with ideally a separate M2 drive that will not share a SATA port;
possibly not embedded CPUs, but I'm open to that, given that hopefully server-grade hardware will give fewer headaches.

I would be open to AMD, but as far as I've understood, aside from the EPYC line, full ECC error correction and reporting is not available on their consumer-grade chipsets.
I don't really need a Xeon series CPU if I go Intel. Mine will be a home NAS, maybe with PFSense threw in, high-power chips will likely more detrimental than beneficial with my goals.

So far this is what I came up with:
MB: Intel M10JNP2SB
CPU: Intel i3-9100f
RAM: 32GB ECC (compatibility will be another interesting can of worms possibly)
PSU: PWS-341P-1H
Case: Antec P101
HDD: 6x 4-8TB Ironwolf (or WD RED CMR, if I can find them and at a better price than the Seagate). The exact size will be defined throwing the costing figures to the wife, quickly leaving the room and judging the best option by the length of her rage.

Don't know yet how will I reliably attach that PSU to the ATX standard cutout, but I've watched enough McGyver, so will come up with something. The PSU will be a tight fit in that case but should make it do. I will also likely need extension cables, but it should be manageable.
With this setup should be able to have a pretty good level of monitoring and management on the system (including PSU stat from PMBUS).
Power consumption should probably be among the lowest I can hope to achieve without going in really low-power systems which would likely miss some of my requirements.
Hopefully, the PSU will not require a Noctua treatment.

Now, other than general feedback, I would love to know what do you think of my proposed CPU on that MB and if it will allow me to achieve full ECC functionality.
A shop reported full compatibility, while Intel came back saying that consumer CPU cannot be used on server chipsets (which doesn't exactly seem correct).

Thanks!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
According to the MB datasheet, it's only qualified with:
  • Xeon E-2104G
  • Xeon E-2124
  • Xeon E-2124G
  • Xeon E-2126G
  • Xeon E-2134
  • Xeon E-2136
  • Xeon E-2146G
  • Xeon E-2174G
  • Xeon E-2176G
  • Xeon E-2186G
  • Xeon E-2224
  • Xeon E-2236
  • Xeon E-2278G
Your CPU might work, but you'll probably get no support from Intel if it doesn't.

stampella

Cadet
Thanks Samul for the reply, no support is fine, as long as everything does work :)
If there are reasonable grounds to believe that the board will work with that CPU and provide full ECC capability, then I can try my luck.

From the experience here, does the C246 chipset work with i3-9xxx series CPUs? Does it offer error correction and reporting in IPMI?
As far as I've understood, this was the case on older chipsets but is not clear if it works in the newer iterations.

If this proves to be unfeasible, I would be more than happy to have pointers to other possible builds that will get me to the results I want.
I've also explored the C236/E3-1240L v5 path but set it aside for a more modern (and potentially more efficient) platform.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From the experience here, does the C246 chipset work with i3-9xxx series CPUs? Does it offer error correction and reporting in IPMI?

The i3-9xxx are the same silicon generation (Coffee Lake) as the Xeon E-22xx, so it again might work with the C246 chipset. Why chance it? Why not go with a qualified CPU?

I've also explored the C236/E3-1240L v5 path but set it aside for a more modern (and potentially more efficient) platform.

This is a more sensible plan, I think.

stampella

Cadet
The i3-9xxx are the same silicon generation (Coffee Lake) as the Xeon E-22xx, so it again might work with the C246 chipset. Why chance it? Why not go with a qualified CPU?
Cost. Purely cost.

This is a more sensible plan, I think.
Thanks, is the Plan B. Then I've to accept somewhat lower performance/W and maybe worry about risks with a used CPU and memory compatibility on the Supermicro platform/IPMI issues on an AsRock board. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Thanks for the assistance so far Samuel, is good to have another brain to bounce my thoughts on.