BUILD i3 X10SLL build

Status
Not open for further replies.

odoyle

Explorer
So I've been reading & researching alot lately, and I've come up with something that I think will work well for what I want, which is file sharing.. I'll be setting it up with 4 HDDs.
maybe you can comment? Thanks!

CPU: Intel i3-4150
board: Supermicro X10SLL
RAM: Crucial 8GB x 2 1600 Mhz ECC UDIMM
PSU: Rosewill 450W Capstone

I know the RAM isn't on the supermicro tested list, but I've read that it works, and I've been happy with crucial in the past.
From what I researched, this should provide with AES support?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Yes on the AES.
Sweet list, I like it!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Back in july, a buyer review from an etailer complained that the i3-4150 cpu would not
post on that board until the bios were updated, just something I caught in looking at the specs...

odoyle

Explorer
wow, you are right - I just read through the thread.. having to buy another CPU just to flash the bios is crazy! I wonder if there is any way around that.. or maybe they ship with the updated bios now?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
A call to Supermicro tech support may be in your future...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Typically you'll see manufacturers start using a newer BIOS immediately. So unless you board has sat on a shelf since the BIOS update, it should be okay. Personally, as long as it's been since the BIOS update came out its unlikely to be a problem, especially with well known etailers since they have a high stock turnover rate.

nobe

Cadet
I'd buy the core i3 4130 just to be on the safe side.
You lose 100MHz but you don't have to worry about the motherboard BIOS version.
They share almost the same caracteristics according to this comparison.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, I'd rather go with the 4150. Being that it's one generation newer I'd bet that idle power is lower. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Honestly, I'd rather go with the 4150. Being that it's one generation newer I'd bet that idle power is lower. ;)
Nah, exact same silicon. They didn't even bother making a new stepping...

Typically you'll see manufacturers start using a newer BIOS immediately. So unless you board has sat on a shelf since the BIOS update, it should be okay. Personally, as long as it's been since the BIOS update came out its unlikely to be a problem, especially with well known etailers since they have a high stock turnover rate.
My experience with Supermicro X10 2.0 BIOS - my X10SLM+-F was bought in July (Amazon.de) and still had the old BIOS. Some others have had similar experiences since then. I'm guessing it takes a while for the old stock to make it through (especially if they delayed shipping them with the 2.0 BIOS for some reason).

So I've been reading & researching alot lately, and I've come up with something that I think will work well for what I want, which is file sharing.. I'll be setting it up with 4 HDDs.
maybe you can comment? Thanks!

CPU: Intel i3-4150
board: Supermicro X10SLL
RAM: Crucial 8GB x 2 1600 Mhz ECC UDIMM
PSU: Rosewill 450W Capstone

I know the RAM isn't on the supermicro tested list, but I've read that it works, and I've been happy with crucial in the past.
From what I researched, this should provide with AES support?

I highly recommend you get a better PSU. Rosewill quality varies between "OK" and "Set-your-house-on-fire dangerous". I'd go with something a bit more reputable, like Corsair CX if it's a tight budget or Seasonic G-series if you're more flexible.

Some good news: those DIMMs you're planning to buy are in fact in Supermicro's list - but they're listed by their Micron product number. When you get them, the DIMMs should have a product number on a sticker (and in their SPD information) that matches the one Supermicro lists.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So the CX PSU are just bronze - I guess the only difference is the efficiency? So maybe the 500W? That is cheaper than the Rosewill.. but some pretty bad reviews..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...39027&cm_re=corsair_cx-_-17-139-027-_-Product

I have three Corsair CX/CX-M PSUs of different capacities in use. No complaints, they work. For a server, they're as crappy as I'm comfortable going. The Seasonic G-Series is probably the best (but also most expensive) in the low-wattage segment, so if you can afford one, don't look back.

odoyle

Explorer
www.superbiiz.com is still stuck with the old outdated bios.. this is their reply when I emailed them:
"As it turns out, SuperMicro has sent us items with Bios 1.0a. According to SuperMicro, the Biox can be updated by the customer if the correct CPU is used."

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, of course they "have sent them items". The board came out at 1.0a. But their choice of words don't really validate either way. It does of course make one very concerned about what to buy.

I know someone that bought superbiiz.com two weeks ago and it was the lastest BIOS. So now what should we believe?

odoyle

Explorer
About the RAM, where are you seeing that Micron memory is on Supermicro's compatible list? I just see these:
http://www.supermicro.com/support/r...B86C662FB2FD6&prid=0&type=0&ecc=0&reg=0&fbd=0

SMC Module Part #Module ManufacturerModule Manufacturer Part #DRAM Component VendorDRAM Component Part ## of RanksRoHS ComplianceProfile

MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16HynixHMT41GU7MFR8C-PBHynixH5TQ4G83MFR2RoHSLow Profile

MEM-DR380L-SL01-EU16SamsungM391B1G73BH0-CK0SamsungK4B4G0846B-HCK02RoHSLow Profile

SMC Module Part #Module ManufacturerModule Manufacturer Part #DRAM Component VendorDRAM Component Part ## of RanksRoHS ComplianceProfile

MEM-DR380L-HL02-EU16HynixHMT41GU7AFR8A-PBHynixH5TC4G83AFR2RoHSLow Profile

MEM-DR380L-HV02-EU16HynixHMT41GE7AFR8A-PBHynixH5TC4G83AFR2RoHSVery Low Profile

MEM-DR380L-SL02-EU16SamsungM391B1G73QH0-YK0SamsungK4B4G0846Q-HYK02RoHSLow Profile

I stupidly already bought that RAM kit, and these are the numbers I see on it:

Crucial:
ct102472bd160b.18fed
Micron:
mt18ksf1g72az-1G6E1zg

I just re-read the RAM sticky, and this micron ID is supposedly OK, but how come it isn't on Crucial's list of X10SLL approved RAM, found here:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/Supermicro/x10sll-f

I stupidly also bought the i3-4150 after asking on Amazon and getting this reply:
A:
I purchased from amazon 2-3 weeks ago and it simply states bios v2.0 in the bios menu (build date 4/24/2014). It is working without any firmware updates with my Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 Haswell.

And of course, my board won't post, so it is either the CPU issue or the RAM issue, and I'm stuck trying to decide if I should return and buy the proper RAM, or CPU first :(

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
About the RAM, where are you seeing that Micron memory is on Supermicro's compatible list? I just see these:
http://www.supermicro.com/support/r...B86C662FB2FD6&prid=0&type=0&ecc=0&reg=0&fbd=0

MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16HynixHMT41GU7MFR8C-PBHynixH5TQ4G83MFR2RoHSLow Profile

MEM-DR380L-SL01-EU16SamsungM391B1G73BH0-CK0SamsungK4B4G0846B-HCK02RoHSLow Profile

MEM-DR380L-HL02-EU16HynixHMT41GU7AFR8A-PBHynixH5TC4G83AFR2RoHSLow Profile

MEM-DR380L-HV02-EU16HynixHMT41GE7AFR8A-PBHynixH5TC4G83AFR2RoHSVery Low Profile

MEM-DR380L-SL02-EU16SamsungM391B1G73QH0-YK0SamsungK4B4G0846Q-HYK02RoHSLow Profile

I stupidly already bought that RAM kit, and these are the numbers I see on it:

Crucial:
ct102472bd160b.18fed
Micron:
mt18ksf1g72az-1G6E1zg

I just re-read the RAM sticky, and this micron ID is supposedly OK, but how come it isn't on Crucial's list of X10SLL approved RAM, found here:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/Supermicro/x10sll-f

I stupidly also bought the i3-4150 after asking on Amazon and getting this reply:
A:
I purchased from amazon 2-3 weeks ago and it simply states bios v2.0 in the bios menu (build date 4/24/2014). It is working without any firmware updates with my Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 Haswell.

And of course, my board won't post, so it is either the CPU issue or the RAM issue, and I'm stuck trying to decide if I should return and buy the proper RAM, or CPU first :(

Ok, that's odd. You just discovered something new. Some Supermicro X10 motherboards share a different Tested Memory List. I'll document it in the RAM sticky after I research this further...

In any case, the Micron model number will never show up and Crucial has two types of model numbers. Their site doesn't make it clear, but it's the same component - they just give them different model names on their website if you choose your motherboard.

The problem is almost certainly the processor. Buy the cheapest one and sell it to the next person who needs to flash their BIOS. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

odoyle

Explorer
Ok, so the board shipped with 1.1b and after using the G3220 to flash the bios, it now works with the 4150 (yay!). Amazon must have several different stocks if another guy got a board with the latest bios..
In any case, I'm running memtest now, and having trouble finding a tool to do a stress test on the CPU which is what I would like to do next. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.