Any Solutions for Installing Plugins -- Jail and DNS Problem

aiden21c

Dabbler
Your ticket indicates you "found the culprit"... what did you need to fix?
So from memory I didn't fix the problem completely, I sorta just fixed it for my specific use case. I found that as soon as I enabled NAT on my openVPN server side of things, the VMs and jails lost DNS access. However when this was disabled the jail's and VMs went back online.

The NAT setting on the openVPN server enables the computer which is tunneling in to access any other device on the LAN. Turning it off means the computer can only access the IP address of the system hosting the OpenVPN server.

My solution was simply to turn off NAT and then have a VM on the host machine which I can VNC into and use as a device on the home LAN. Not the best fix but at least I isolated the issue. Hope this helps.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Why would you need NAT with OpenVPN? Can't you use a static route on your Internet router to reach the OpenVPN network?

aiden21c

Dabbler
Why would you need NAT with OpenVPN? Can't you use a static route on your Internet router to reach the OpenVPN network?

This would be the easiest and best option however my router is provided by my ISP and unfortunately the ISP has locked me off from adding static routes. I was going to get onto them to send a new router but I have since moved to a new NAS running TrueNas Scale and haven't had time to set up OpenVPN again. If I encounter the same issues as I did previously I'll have to take it up with my ISP.